Disability premiums — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disability premiums

spb1612 Member Posts: 26 Connected
Who qualifies for the disability premium of £34.95 a week as mentioned here?  I am in receipt of IR ESA and enhanced rate PIP.

I am getting the two other premiums of £66.95 and £17.10 a week.

Will I still receive these premiums once I reach state pension age?


  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,781 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @spb1612 how are you today? Once you reach SRP age your ESA will stop although your PIP will go on for as long as you qualify. However someone might be able to claim carers allowance if they provide 35 hours of care per week and earn less than £120 per week
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,461 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020

    The disability premium you are talking about is not payable when claiming Income Related ESA as clearly stated in this link here.
    The following was taken from that link above.

    You can get the disability premium on its own. You might get the severe or enhanced disability premium as well if you’re eligible for them.

    If you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you cannot get the disability premium, but you may still qualify for the severe and enhanced premiums.

    When you reach state pension age the SDP can be paid with pension credit, if you qualify for this which you will need to claim once you reach this age. The Enhanced disability premium of £17.10 is not payable when you reach state pension age.

  • spb1612
    spb1612 Member Posts: 26 Connected
    Are these disability premiums taxable for income tax purposes?  PIP is not.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,461 Disability Gamechanger


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.