Hi, im natalie600_! How do other single parents cope with childcare costs? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im natalie600_! How do other single parents cope with childcare costs?

natalie600_
natalie600_ Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, this is all new to me and dont know how all this works. But even with support from friends and family, there isn't anyone going through the same situations as me right now. 

Comments

• natalie600_
    My main reason for coming on here, is that I have  15 year old son with autism and severe learning difficulties and now a newly added disability of hip deformity and a vascular necrosis (dying bone)

I separated from my sons dad 2 year ago. He has always had him 2 nights per week, but never has him extra. He is now trying to have him less and it's really taking its toll on me. 

I own a day nursery which Is my income, but it also gives me some element of flexibility for my son which I'm grateful for. But I'm struggling to hold it all together. And with dad having him less, I need additional care while I work. Whilst i know this wont be funded, it seems unfair that I should pay £25 per hour for the care he requires so I can work. Am I missing anything? I have a disability social worker who is applying for short breaks, but this is for my son, and not childcare purposes. Are there any other single working parents out there? And how do you manage?

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @natalie600_ and welcome to scope, i'm sorry that things are so difficult for you and I have no answers but I do know that if you check back tomorrow someone will be along to give some advice.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hello @natalie600_ and welcome to our community.  I'm glad you found us and let's hope we can help.

I'm sorry about your son's new diagnosis of a hip deformity and vascular necrosis.  That must have been hard.  Are you both coping okay?  Scope have a Parents Connect group that is a 6 week online programme designed to help parents such as yourself, for more details visit this webpage.

Scope also has an information page about benefits and money for families with disabled children and this lists the financial support you could be eligible to.  Does your son receive DLA?  

In the mean-time, I've moved your post over to our Parents and Carers group for other single parents to spot and offer advice :)  Please let us know how you are today and I have my fingers crossed things get easier for you soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's not usual for people to have childcare costs for a young person who is 15 years old because usually they are old enough to look after their self at this age. Therefore i'm assuming his care is because of his disability, is that correct?

If so then has he had a needs assessment from his local council? You mention a social worker, have you spoke to them regarding a needs assessment? I'm surprised they haven't mentioned this to you. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

Once this is done they will determine if any care is needed and they maybe able to provide you with this, although you may have to pay a contribution towards it but on the other hand because he's under the age of 18 a contribution may not be needed, it will depend on the criteria of your local council and all of them have their own criteria.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • natalie600_
    Hi poppy, thank you for your reply. The social worker is doing an assessment to request short breaks for the school holidays, but she said they wont support any childcare for my work purposes. 
    She is an agency social worker and not from my area and the support unfortunately hasn't been great
  • natalie600_
    Hi cher, thanks for your reply. Were doing ok thanks. He gets dla, but didnt think I could use this for childcare?
  • poppy123456
    What makes you think you can't use the DLA for childcare? There's nothing at all in any guidelines to say that you can't use any benefit money for exactly what you want to use it for and this includes any benefits, not just a disability benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • natalie600_
    I just assumed that I cant as its chilcare so I can work. But if he was a typical 15 year old, he could make his way home from school for an hour or so before I got home, whereas my son cant. Is there anywhere else I could look for financial support without using his dla?
  • poppy123456
    That's really what his DLA is meant to be used for, although you can use it for anything you want because there's no restirctions.

What about tax free childcare, have you looked into this? It can be claimed up until a child is 16 when they have disabilites. Details here. https://www.gov.uk/tax-free-childcare Of course it will depend on when he will be 16 because then it will end and you won't be able to claim anything for childcare.

Once he reaches 16 your only option will be a needs assessment from your local council.

• natalie600_
    Thank you for your help. Once finances are sorted, I will then move onto my next challenge to find a suitable carer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.