Herbert protocol equivalent — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Herbert protocol equivalent

Cindy7007
Cindy7007 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Recently I have been looking for information on what steps can be taken if a young adult with learning disabilities goes missing.  This subject was raised as the young man in question does not always answer his phone or he will go out when he has very low battery life.  He may say he is going somewhere that should only take him 30 minutes and arrive home 3 hours later and not be aware of the time.  

I have reviewed and discussed with the family various safety equipment which might prove to be a positive move.

I also came across a Herbert Protocol which is a great idea and it is generally used for dementia patients who live in residential care with the full support of the Police.  I went on to speak to the Police to find out if they were aware of anything similar should a person with Learning Disabilities go missing.  For those people who do not know about the Herbert protocol, it is a form which has lots of individual information about a person, where they may go, what past connections they have etc.  These forms are handed to the Police upon reporting a person missing.  The Police were not aware of anything specific other than the Herbert protocol.  My concern was that when reporting a person missing it can be very stressful and it can be very difficult remembering everything that might be useful.

I wondered if anyone had come across such a form that can be tailored for different conditions and would certainly be useful to hand a pre prepared document to aid the search for the missing person?

If not, I will attempt to draw something up and will be happy to share it should it be of any use to anyone else.

Best wishes to all

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.