Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Should Sia have cast an autistic person? #NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
After our recent stimulating discussions on the controversy around the film The Witches, the disagreement between Piers Morgan and Sally Phillips on 'cripping up', and the criticisms made of Liz Carr's monologue 'Real Deal' on BBC Four's 'CripTales', we thought it'd be interesting to have a discussion around this topic.
What's the situation?LA Times: Sia is under fire for how her film portrays autism. But she’s the one feeling ‘FURY’
What have people been saying?This is a good thread by an autistic person explaining why they had the right to be angry about the situation. I've also put a couple of examples of what people have been saying below.
Bronagh Waugh (@bronaghwaugh)
Helen Zbihlyj (@HelenAngel)
How has Sia responded?In response to Bronagh's tweet, Sia said:
In response to Helen's tweet, Sia said:
Sia also said that there were autistic people included in the filming of the film:
Sia went on a bit of a Twitter rampage about it, so you can read more of her tweets here.
What do you think? Should Sia have cast an autistic person to play the role?
Join our call for an equal future.
- All Categories
- 12.8K Start here and say hello!
- 6.6K Coffee lounge
- 42 Games room
- 428 Cost of living
- 4.4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 208 Community updates
- 9.2K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.5K Work and employment
- 785 Education
- 1.6K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 612 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 370 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 758 Transport and travel
- 30.4K Talk about money
- 4.3K Benefits and financial support
- 5.1K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 857 Chronic pain and pain management
- 160 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 322 Sensory impairments
- 819 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions