Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hiya everyone. I am having a hard time with my twin's EHCP at the moment. Both in very different ways. And I feel so confused. About how it all works, what it's supposed to do... we applied together with school for one twin because school told us we should, it couldn't do any harm, only help with transition to secondary school. And I applied together with school for the other twin, against their wish - but in the end together with them after all - because I think school is not doing enough for him at the moment and he needs more support.
The first EHCP was accepted this summer, after I threatened to appeal (very weird, and I was then more or less blackmailed into agreeing to it in the current form- but that was partly my mistake because I took too long to react because I didn't fully understand...). In any case, the EHCP we have now, is very vague, doesn't describe needs adequately and is factually wrong in some details. (School currently provides 1-1 the whole school day, which is really needed, whereas in the EHCP is only says "instructions may need to be repeated".) The second EHCP was not even rejected in the past 11 months. But because it went through our SENCO, I do not have any contact numbers I could call. And when I called SENCO, she always tells me "you should have heard something, maybe have another look" and "I'll speak with them and let you know next week". We went through such email exchanges now three times since the begin of the pandemic - which doesn't make things easier. I was patient due to the circumstances, but I am beginning to regret that. - I don't really know what to do... I had a look at IPSEA but it all seems like I have to have an idea what I really want. And I feel like I don't understand all this enough.
I would like to speak with someone who know about this, explain our case, and get some advise on what I can and should expect and ask for. ... Any recommendations where to turn to for support?
- 55.2K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 837 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 301 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 268 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.2K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 704 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 770 Autism and neurodiversity
- 951 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.