If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

escitalopram And chest pain

Michyh Community member Posts: 48 Connected

I have been in escitalopram a few months now, and I have noticed that when I take my pill at night, I get a slight chest pain and this might sound funny but I hear my heart beat pulsing hard in my ears.  Anyone else’s had the same thing? 

Thank u 


  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,130 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to read this, as this must seem disconcerting. If you have any concerns, the best person to discuss this with would be your GP (or prescribing specialist).
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Michyh@Hi i take citalopram which is like your antidepressant. Were you on another antidepressant before this one? I remember my GP changing me from citalopram to fluoxetine and i had terrible palpitations and anxiety that i lossed it completely that my neighbour who i was with at the time had to phone for the paramedics and it took quite a while before i was calm. If you have been taking this medication for months it could be that it doesn't suit you. The thing is they don't tell you the side affects. If this is bothering you in a major way go back to your GP asap. Also i take my antidepressants in the morning maybe you could try. I wish you well.?

  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,130 Disability Gamechanger
    The side effects of medication are usually on a leaflet given with your meds. The NHS website also has some info on escitalopram. See: https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/escitalopram/  However, as mentioned above, do seek medical advice for any concerns however minor. Everyone is different, & your GP (or specialist) should be your first port of call, as they will know your medical history.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @Michyh, it sounds very uncomfortable. As mentioned above by @chiarieds, if you have concerns then the best person to ask would be your GP.

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.