devistation regarding PIP and other benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

devistation regarding PIP and other benefits

braca
braca Community member Posts: 102 Pioneering
edited December 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I was recently helping a friend  who has Vascular Dementia and was not given enough points to gain any award of PIP, Surely  people with Dementia have more problems with Daily living activities than (Removed by moderator, not appropriate for community)? This has totally sickened myself with the Benefits system, I myself recently reported a change in circumstances when I notified DWP of a £250,000. win on a Scratchcard  that lost myself all income benefits, And to make matters worse having received an extension on my current PIP Award, I have now received review form from PIP and am now pulling out what is left of my hair. How do those in the Know get round such Cases, AS had to go through MR and hard fight for my last PIP award. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @braca did you expect to continue to receive IR benefits with £250,000 in the bank?
    Has the person with dementia put in an MR for the PIP claim? PIP is not about a diagnosis but the care and/or mobility issues you have. Just because you got an extension never meant you wouldn't get a review.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Like you, I'd find it difficult to believe someone with Vascular Dementia does not warrant any additional support, so it may need some professional input as to how best to progress.

Does your friend have a Social Worker?  Perhaps a call to their worker, or Social Work Services if they don't already have a worker, would be something to consider?  Social Workers, here in Scotland, are generally able to make referrals to in-house Welfare Rights Officers to ensure maximisation of benefits.  

I hope your friend manages to receive their correct entitlement.  
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    @Username_removed - fair point.  As I have only ever known people whose diagnosis was given very late on in the progression of their condition, I had assumed the poster's friend was also at that state.  I hadn't really thought about those who may have been (un)fortunate enough to have received an early diagnosis.  
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    First of all congrats on winning 250 k I was made up when I won a tenna on a scratch card so that was good . 

I would of thought some one with dementia would of got pip but as the info above it will depend on how it affects your friend I hope you get it all sorted soon let us know how you get on . 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.