Parents, carers and disabled parents
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Support - What to do when developmentally disabled family member is being catfished/scammed?

Hello all,

My adult brother, who has a developmental disability, is being catfished. He connected with someone through instagram, they moved the conversation to Whatsapp and for the last couple of weeks he has been exchanging money to giftcards to send to the person. He is not forthcoming with much information, and this has happened once before in the past couple of years. 

I am wondering if anyone in this community has any resources to share that helped in a similar experience. We are based in California, and just looking for any support. 

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Scope is based in the UK and i'm unsure of what's available over in the USA. Who looks after your brother long term? Have they spoken to him? Should he really be speaking to other people this way, especially as he's vulnerable like this.

I don't have any other advice for you but i hope you'll be able to find a solution soon, i just wanted to welcome you to the community.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,542 Disability Gamechanger
    If it was happening here in the UK I might suggest a word with the police?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,039

Scope community team

Hi @Miacb :) Welcome to the community!

I'd agree that contacting the police would be a good idea. I'd get in touch with your local police service and see what they say, 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Sign in or join us to comment.