Support - What to do when developmentally disabled family member is being catfished/scammed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support - What to do when developmentally disabled family member is being catfished/scammed?

Miacb
Miacb Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello all,

My adult brother, who has a developmental disability, is being catfished. He connected with someone through instagram, they moved the conversation to Whatsapp and for the last couple of weeks he has been exchanging money to giftcards to send to the person. He is not forthcoming with much information, and this has happened once before in the past couple of years. 

I am wondering if anyone in this community has any resources to share that helped in a similar experience. We are based in California, and just looking for any support. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Scope is based in the UK and i'm unsure of what's available over in the USA. Who looks after your brother long term? Have they spoken to him? Should he really be speaking to other people this way, especially as he's vulnerable like this.

I don't have any other advice for you but i hope you'll be able to find a solution soon, i just wanted to welcome you to the community.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    If it was happening here in the UK I might suggest a word with the police?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Miacb :) Welcome to the community!

I'd agree that contacting the police would be a good idea. I'd get in touch with your local police service and see what they say, 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.