Hello. advice and/or support wanted — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello. advice and/or support wanted

Options
awain
awain Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2020 in Work and employment
Hello.
I hope this is appropriate. very new to online groups.
my adult son has Asperger's, always been very successful despite multiple challenges.
multilingual, studied abroad (with support) returned back to the UK, did a Post grad teaching qualification. subsequently became a qualified modern foreign language teacher. Sadly due mainly to lack of support, understanding and his struggle with classroom behaviour management, he has not successfully secured a full time post.
very skilled, accepted a job with HSBC, however, covid, working from home, and all the isolation and anxiety that goes with this, has rendered him so low, and anxious, he was forced to reduce his hours (leading to financial hardship) continued to struggle with the challenges of working from home. has had to take sick leave due to the levels of anxiety associated with working from home. employer sick pay has ended, and he is now struggling on SSP, and is very low in mood. right now, he could use some advice/support.
Any thoughts much appreciated. 
Alison

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear this. He could look at claiming Universal Credit but whether he could claim this will depend on his circumstances. If he lives with a partner then they'll need to claim as a couple because it's a means tested benefit. If he has savings/capital of more than £16,000 he'll be excluded from claiming.

As he's claiming SSP from his employer this will reduce his UC entitlement by 63% for every £1 he earns. I'd advise him to use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=f67c5fee-0b47-4714-9ba7-1dc71e4f5afc

Claiming the UC will also depend on how long he's been back in the UK for. If he is entitled to anything once he's used the benefit calculator, he would need to send in fit notes from his GP for the UC claim to start the work capability assessment process off.

New style ESA maybe possible once his SSP has ended providing he's paid the correct amount of NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. If he claims this as well as UC then the NsESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

PIP (personal independence payment) may also be possible but it will depend on how his conditions affect him against the PIP descriptors. He will also need to have lived in the UK for 2 out of the past 3 years. More information here regarding this.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • awain
    awain Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Poppy123456
    Thank you so very much. i am trying to encourage him to look at any financial entitlement, and your info is great.
    ultimately he is desperate to find a way back to using his language skills. Gain meaningful employment, doing what he excels at. sadly without support of some kind, this is unlikely.
    manny thanks

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. Scope have a support to work programme that maybe helpful to him, here's a link with information for that.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.