Hi, my name is Hxrry! How can I buy a house when claiming PIP and UC? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Hxrry! How can I buy a house when claiming PIP and UC?

Options
Hxrry
Hxrry Community member Posts: 4 Listener
How to buy a house when claiming PIP & Universal credit?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there unfortunately you will find it very hard to get a mortgage if your only income is benefits 

And presuming you dont have the capital to buy one or you wouldn't be claiming benefits 

It's hard just to private rent if on benefits let alone buy 
  • Hxrry
    Hxrry Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi, no I'm only 24 so being disabled has kind of screwed me which leaves me wondering if I am the only one.. obviously not, soo what are those people doing & how does life even function when you cant work or earn money....  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

You're definitely not the only disabled person. I've been disabled for over 10 years and claiming ESA since 2012 and PIP since 2013.

I've owned my own home too,  many years ago and lost that due to a marriage break down. Now i privately rent but i have to say, although it is a nice thought to own your own home but realistically, is this possible if you're not working? Personally, i don't think so but that's just my thoughts.

My daughter and her partner both work, she's just returned from maternity leave and they are in the process of saving for a mortgage. Combined they earn about £40,000 a year and even with this amount of earnings it's not going to be easy to get onto that property ladder.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hi @Hxrry - & welcome to the community. You've already received good advice. Just to add, disabled, or not, there are pros & cons about owning a home, against renting. Please see: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/should-you-rent-or-buy       & https://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/should-you-rent-or-buy-a-home.htm
    I'd have a look at any areas you're interested in, then check on both house & rental prices. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.