council tax rebate — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

council tax rebate

happyfella Member Posts: 192 Pioneering
Hi, i am really struggling to understand the council tax rebate for my council. Sorry, i really struggle with things like that. I receive enhance rate for both mobility and living and have been told to apply for a council tax rebate. however when i go on the site it confuses me. Can anyone who has applied for the rebate explain the process and if it a means tested benefit and what proof i have to supply


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,742 Disability Gamechanger
    It isnt a rebate it is a reduction 

    If you are confused I would ring the council and ask to speak to them instead so they can explain 

    Every council is different with different criteria so we cant really explain to you as we dont know 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,662 Disability Gamechanger

    There's council tax reduction available to those on low income, which is available to apply from your local council.

    There's also various exemptions which are totally different to council tax reduction. There's a carers exemption which allow 25% discount if there are 2 adults living at the same property, that your partner can claim. This allows the carers to be exempt, which means the main claimant is then classed as living alone.

    There's the single person discount of 25%, which is like the carers dicount.
    Student discount 25%. Finally there's the severe mental impairment but this needs a form to be filled out by a GP.

    All local councils have their own rules but these are the national ones and are available to everyone.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.