Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Eligibility Universal Credit for Non UK citizens

ParthSidhpuraParthSidhpura Member Posts: 1 Listener
Can anyone help me out on am I eligible for a universal credit if I'm a non-UK citizen


  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,105

    Scope community team

    edited January 13
    Hi @ParthSidhpura and welcome to the community, how are you? 

    There are many factors which determine eligibility for Universal Credit, such as:
    • Do you have settled or pre-settled status in the UK?
    • Is the UK your permanent home and do you intend on staying here?
    • What is your living situation at the moment?

    If you are from the EU or Europe

    To apply for Universal Credit you need to show:

    • you have settled status or a right to claim benefits in the UK - this is called a ‘right to reside’
    • the UK, Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man is your main home and you plan to stay - this is known as being ‘habitually resident’

    Your right to reside depends on things like your work, family and personal situation. You can check if you have a right to reside.

    To stay in the UK after 30 June 2021 you need to apply for ‘settled status’ or ‘pre-settled status’. It’s best to apply as soon as you can.

    You can apply for:

    • settled status if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years or more

    • pre-settled status if you’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years – and were living here by 31 December 2020 

    If you are from outside Europe

    You can’t apply for Universal Credit if you’re subject to immigration control.

    You’ll also need to meet or be exempt from the ‘habitual residence test’

    Online Community Coordinator

    Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,104 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome all the above info should be able to answer your query if not get back to us with any questions you have 
Sign in or join us to comment.