Masks — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Masks

Options
Batfink
Batfink Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hello everyone. I am deaf and I lipread but with people wearing masks it’s impossible. I ask people to lower them but some people won’t. What are your thoughts on this?
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Batfink, great username :) 

This is such a tricky issue, there are many factors at play I suppose:
    • You are absolutely doing the right thing in asking people to lower them, as it's essential for your communication. 
    • Some people might be less willing to do so because they are at a higher risk compared to others, which is something to consider. There's also no legal requirement for people to lower their masks for those who use lip reading, so I guess it's at their discretion. 
    As long as people aren't responding in a hostile way, I suppose there's nothing you can do really. If you're asking politely and clearly explaining your reasoning then the ball in is their court. I just hope that those who can lower their mask without putting themselves at great risk will do so.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.