Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Masks

BatfinkBatfink Member Posts: 4 Connected
edited January 16 in Disabled people
Hello everyone. I am deaf and I lipread but with people wearing masks it’s impossible. I ask people to lower them but some people won’t. What are your thoughts on this?
Tagged:

Replies

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,229

Scope community team

Hi @Batfink, great username :) 

This is such a tricky issue, there are many factors at play I suppose:
    • You are absolutely doing the right thing in asking people to lower them, as it's essential for your communication. 
    • Some people might be less willing to do so because they are at a higher risk compared to others, which is something to consider. There's also no legal requirement for people to lower their masks for those who use lip reading, so I guess it's at their discretion. 
    As long as people aren't responding in a hostile way, I suppose there's nothing you can do really. If you're asking politely and clearly explaining your reasoning then the ball in is their court. I just hope that those who can lower their mask without putting themselves at great risk will do so.
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.