Legacy benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Legacy benefits

angiecxx
angiecxx Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Does anyone else get legacy benefits and if so how do you feel about not receiving the 20 pounds increase like people on universal credits are getting? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, i do but it is what it is and there's really nothing we can do about it. You can of course claim UC if you want but the extra £90 per month is due to end in April this year anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • angiecxx
    Yes I had heard that it is due to end but I think it will be extended. It's an awful process to claim uc so I think I'll wait until I'm moved onto it.  I just think it's really unfair but as you have what can we do about it. ?
  • poppy123456
    There's been nothing announced about it being extended. There are some bad stories regarding UC and some people are worse off when claiming it but not everyone is.

If you're in the Support Group for ESA without the severe disability premium then LCWRA for UC actually pays more, if you work out the figures correctly and this is without the standard element increase. Your support group award will be honoured in UC and you will be placed into the LCWRA group.

If part of your ESA is Contributions based then you will continue to receive this because it's not part of UC. However, if you claim tax credits, a claim for UC will end those tax credits too.

You would benefit from using a benefits calculator to check entitlement but do be aware that ESA is a weekly benefit, paid fortnightly and UC is paid once per month, unless you live in Scotland and it can be paid twice per month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I have no problem with not getting the extra money, it is what it is, I'm not sure about them extending it as they seem to be tightening up the purse strings, so to speak.
    I look at it this way what you have never had you never miss.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    I saw an article in The Times where they were indicating the Chancellor is planning a £500 payment to benefit recipients as part of the Covid programme.  I can't recall all the details, but from memory it seemed it would be the same group of recipients who currently receive the £20/wk at the moment. 

Even as I type this, I bear in mind, this is the same Chancellor who was reported to be considering a £500 bonus for everyone in the country (last summer) to boost the economy.   ;)
  • angiecxx
    That will be interesting to see if he does or not. ??.  I think it's very unfair that people on legacy benefits have been left with no support from the government. ?
  • poppy123456
    Girl_No1 said:
    I saw an article in The Times where they were indicating the Chancellor is planning a £500 payment to benefit recipients as part of the Covid programme.
    I think the £500 you're talking about is to do with a test and trace support payment. It's not something that's given to everyone claiming benefits. If you've received notification from the NHS test and trace app that you need to self isolate and you can't work from home and you're claiming certain benefits.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Girl_No1 said:
    I saw an article in The Times where they were indicating the Chancellor is planning a £500 payment to benefit recipients as part of the Covid programme.
    I think the £500 you're talking about is to do with a test and trace support payment. It's not something that's given to everyone claiming benefits. If you've received notification from the NHS test and trace app that you need to self isolate and you can't work from home and you're claiming certain benefits.

Referring to this I believe, Poppy.

https://headtopics.com/uk/rishi-sunak-plans-500-benefit-boost-for-families-amid-uc-turmoil-18078680
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    @MarkN88 yes, that's the (planned!) payment to which I was referring.  Thanks.
  • niknak7278
    niknak7278 Community member Posts: 82 Pioneering
    Hello all 

I’m a carer to husband and daughter and we’re all in receipt of legacy benefits.

They could’ve at the very least applied the extra £20 a week to those in receipt of DLA/PIP and not just UC.

Me personally they can keep it, what I’ve not received I wouldn’t miss when they take it away.

Maybe they will announce something in the budget?

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Hello all 

I’m a carer to husband and daughter and we’re all in receipt of legacy benefits.

They could’ve at the very least applied the extra £20 a week to those in receipt of DLA/PIP and not just UC.

Me personally they can keep it, what I’ve not received I wouldn’t miss when they take it away.

Maybe they will announce something in the budget?

Until the budget happens it’s all speculation anyway. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.