Hi, im cowpat! Is it compulsory to shield or can I return to work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im cowpat! Is it compulsory to shield or can I return to work?

cowpat
cowpat Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
Hi 
I am at home shielding at the moment, this is the third time I've had to do this since march and I've had enough !!as shielding is not mandatory if I want to return to work can my employer stop me?, if it's my choice, I am fit and healthy just following what the shielding letter said.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I would discuss this with your gp and I think the letter states if you have any concerns to do this 

Your gp could then provide a fit note for your employer stating you are fit to work if that is what they recommend 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cowpat and welcome to our community.

I can empathise, having to shield for the third time must be difficult and I can understand being eager to return to work after so long at home.  Having said that, shielding measures are in place for a reason - to protect your wellbeing where you've been identified as 'clinically extremely vulnerable' - so I'd second discussing this further with health-care practitioners you see regularly, be that a GP or hospital consultant.  

Please let us know how you get on.  In the meantime, I've tweaked the title of your post and moved this to our Employment and careers category to help others who might have the same question too :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.