Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Being forced to move,

Tanya_KTanya_K Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello everyone, my name is Tanya & i am registered disabled.
I am receiving PIP payment & mobility payment for my disability which is Psoriatic Atheritis, Slipped disc in spine, depression, diabetes, high blood pressure & overall muscular pain.
I have been living in temporary accomodation with my 3 kids (15,10,9) coming to 7 years now.
The council have out of the blue said i have to take a third floor accomodation which they are still preparing in a completely different area (i am currently in Dagenham & they want to move me to Wathamstow).
This is going to be unbelievably difficult, firstly because the property is on the third floor & because i will lose the infrastructure of help that i have built around me where i am now.
My dr's is a few minues away as is my childrens school.
Can anyone guilde me on if there's anything i can do legally to help myself in this situation, it is making me incredibly anxious & scared.


  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,860 Disability Gamechanger
    I'll start by saying that housing isn't my speciality however 7 years is a long time in temp. accom. and permanent housing is thin on the ground, if you pass this chance on you might have to wait some time for another one, you should of course speak to the council and see what they have to say. Are the two areas far apart?
  • Tanya_KTanya_K Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi WoodBine, thanks for taking a moment to answer my question, i appreciate that. OK, i think i understand that. Yes they are, i'd have to start fresh from the beginning!
    It's the fact that it's on the third floor also that fills me with fear.
    Sometimes i cannot even walk 5 metres ;-(
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 2,905 Pioneering
    @Tanya_K the best thing is to get in touch with shelter who  deal with this sort of thing  you can also speak to the citizen advice 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 385 Pioneering
    Have you ever had a occupational therapy assessment? My council offer these to individuals who declare they have specific needs in relation to a health condition or disability. Failing that route, the GP could possibly refer you for an assessment. 
  • Tanya_KTanya_K Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks Lisa i appreciate that. Hi Mark, i've never had that assessment, i will look into it right now, thanks for the information.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 2,905 Pioneering
    @Tanya_K you could also give your local adult social services aswel to help you with your needs as markn88 has said you could have an ot assessment 
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,234 Disability Gamechanger
    If you get a needs assessment they will make recommendations of type of housing best suited and will send a copy to your council 

    They should then amend your details to allow you to move up the waiting list if applicable and open up your bidding options 
  • Tanya_KTanya_K Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks janer & everyone else, i appreciate that.
    Just to give you all an update, i had got all my documents together highliting all the issues that i have & sent them to the lady from housing department in the council. She phoned me a few hours after & stated that her manager is not satisfied that i cannot accept the 3rd floor property. Even though i confirmed that i may need a wheel chair very soon with all the other problems that i have she said that her manager said it will fit in the lift & all the doors & paths are wide enough for me to get to the proprty. In the end of the conversation she put me in an ultimatum, she said if i do not accept the property the council will relinquish responsibilty over my housing & that i will be forced to move out of this accomodation & find my own place.
    I have had no choice but to accept, the last thing i want is the prospect of eviction because of a time limit!
    OK, thanks everyone for giving me your time, have a wonderful weekend x

  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 385 Pioneering
    You can move forward though and ask your adult social care team to complete a care needs assessment still and if they think you need any assistance or adaptions these can be provided dependant on a financial assessment, so I would still get the assessment done. 
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 2,905 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear that but I expect lin their logic its fine I do know s few people who live in flats with lifts 

    As @MarkN88 suggests still give adult services a call to assess your needs hope you will be ok take care 
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,860 Disability Gamechanger
    @tanyak i'm afraid that's as I expected @mark88 that advice is sound.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,234 Disability Gamechanger
    Try and look on the positive now it will be a fresh start for you and family and it usnt too far for school and doctors 

    Having a lift also makes things easier and once in the flat at least it's all on one level 
  • Tanya_KTanya_K Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Yes, you are all right, thanks very much for all your words, i appreciate that highly.
    I will aim to get the needs assessment done & i do like the idea of a fresh start.
    Thanks again everyone, have a lovely weekend x

Sign in or join us to comment.