My son has just had his blue badge taken from him - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has just had his blue badge taken from him

2»

Comments

• Nigel19
    Nigel19 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Pauline, I found this link which might help. I don't know how you stand with raising the appeal about the PIP qualifying points but I think you should take it up with the local council only for now. The link from CAB seems very helpful. Be polite in any correspondence, try to give as much information as you can. You can get help from CAB in writing your response and if the appeal is unsuccessful contact your Local Government Ombudsman. Good Luck.  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/blue-badge-scheme/if-youve-been-refused-a-blue-badge/

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Nigel19 said: I don't know how you stand with raising the appeal about the PIP qualifying points 
    There is nothing to raise, if they meet the 12 point descriptor then that is the correct descriptor to apply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Steph81
    Steph81 Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    Hi Pauline, I also had an issue when renewing my Blue Badge, due to not having enough points with PIP on the moving around section.
    If your son has input from any consultants, you could ask them to support your son’s blue badge application, with a letter. This was how I won my appeal, and got the decision overturned for Hidden Disabilities. 
  • paulinedixon
    paulinedixon Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Thank-you for your reply.  With our Son accident happening 30 years ago he is no longer under any Consultants for anything.  He has lots of hidden problems but needs no medical intervention as they can do nothing to improve his problems.  The Blue Badge do not except any info from GP .   We are still trying.  But thank you. 
  • Steph81
    Steph81 Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    Hi, that’s a shame about the consultants, but councils also should accept evidence from a Social worker, Physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist. If your Son also has no input from one of these professionals, then your MP may be able to help to get this sorted out. Let’s us know how you get on. 
  • paulinedixon
    Yes I will post when we have some news. But thank you very much for your info.
  • paulinedixon
    Hi all.  I would like you all to know we have had our son’s Blue Badge back.   It took some time but finally we managed.   We went down the route of our son’s vision impairment.
    30 year ago after our sons Head injury we were told he had severe sight impairment(Blind) and he was put on the sight impairment register.  When we needed the Certificate for him they couldn’t find him on there so we had His vision reassessed at RVI.  He has now got his Certificate and he is automatically entitled to a Blue Badge.
    thank you all for the help given.
    Having this group was a great help.
      Keep fighting on everyone,  I know it gets so disheartening when you get one problem solved there’s another one  just round the corner.  If having a disability isn’t hard enough to get through a day.
    There’s  always someone out there who’s gone through it themselves or can offer help.
    so thank you.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I’m pleased the RVI were able to help. 

I go there with my mum. Great eye centre! 
  • paulinedixon
    Yes they were great with my son. Thank goodness we have good Hospitals here in Newcastle.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I trained as a physio at the RVI, so have fond memories about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for updating us @paulinedixon :) I'm glad you managed to get it sorted. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.