am i entitled sdp — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

am i entitled sdp

pabab22
pabab22 Community member Posts: 49 Connected
hi guys, i got a letter out of nowhere the other day, saying i might be entitled to severe disablement allowance, i suffer with manic depression and schizophrenia,i am on all the qualifying benefits like ESA support group and p.i.p care, I already receive the enhanced premium and the disability premium, i live in a council house that me and my dad rent from a council tenant as lodgers or subtenants not sure what i am classed as, nobody gets carers allowance for me, i pay rent to the council tenant and so does my dad, i use the money i am already getting to pay rent, am i entitled to SDP thank you any replies would be great :)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    To get sdp you need to live alone or with someone who also claims PIP 

But I'm not too sure you would qualify as you already get the other premiums 

Also is your rental legit as I thought it was against council tenants agreements to be able sublet 

I would check with welfare rights it cab anput if you are entitled to the premium 
  • pabab22
    thank you so much for your reply, yes everything is above board. basically, the council tenant i live with has let the council know that i pay them a certain amount and they are fine with that, thank you i will check with cab, I will update you on what they say thank you for your help :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,523 Disability Gamechanger
    You won't be entitled to SDP unless the adult you live with also claims PIP, although someone could claim carers allowance for you if they provide 35 hours of care, it would be pointless checking this with CAB but if you feel the need then do go ahead
    @pabab22 welcome to scope.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• pabab22
    thank you so much woodbine, yes I think I won't check with cab, i was kinda sure i was not entitled to sdp, thank you so much to both woodbine and janer 1967 take care :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,523 Disability Gamechanger
    @pabab22 enjoy your weekend
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope the above information has been helpful @pabab22
    :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • pabab22
    yes very helpful thanks ross :) hi guys just checked an old letter from ESA and i was wrong i don't get a disability premium i get a little extra because im in the support group. i know I'm not entitled to severe and i already received enhanced but do you think I qualify for the disability premium? thank you!  
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    pabab22 said:
    yes very helpful thanks ross :) hi guys just checked an old letter from ESA and i was wrong i don't get a disability premium i get a little extra because im in the support group. i know I'm not entitled to severe and i already received enhanced but do you think I qualify for the disability premium? thank you!  
    Here is the eligibility:

Disability premium

You or your partner must be under pension credit age and either registered blind or getting:

• Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
    • Working Tax Credit with a disability element
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Incapacity Benefit

If you do not qualify, you may still get the premium if you’ve been unable to work for at least a year.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility

• pabab22
    hi mark thanks for posting it looks as though I should be entitled, should I ring them? thanks for sharing that!
  • MarkM88
    pabab22 said:
    hi mark thanks for posting it looks as though I should be entitled, should I ring them? thanks for sharing that!
    I would say if its not already part of your claim then yes give them a ring and ask and point out you meet the eligibility, come back and let me know how you get on. 
  • pabab22
    ok great thanks mark ill give them a ring, ill let you know as soon as i find out :) 
  • pabab22
    hi mark, called them the person first said that there isn't even a disability premium, its made up, and when i pushed it she said there is a disability premium but it's not available to me and I'm receiving everything i should get,at first she said all there is is  a severe disability then admitted, there is also enhanced which is what i get, she got a bit umpy and that's when i decided to politely end the call, I'm not sure she knew i would have the information in front of me, she seemed a bit shocked that i knew what i was getting, i dont want to jump to conclusions though she might be telling the truth im ringing citizens advice  now just  to double check thanks mark
  • MarkM88
    Do you have a break down of what your ESA payment is made up of? Might be easier to work out what you currently get. 
  • pabab22
    yes 
    living expenses £74.35
    enhanced premium £17.50
    limited capability for work 39.20 (at first thought this was the disability premium ?)
    total £130.65 

i also thought that my living expenses would be higher, seems I'm getting the work-related rate?
  • MarkM88
    Just remembered something, are you income based ESA?

• pabab22
    yes i think so mark and i pay national insurance contributions, so was not sure if i was contribution or income-based, but I'm assuming I'm income-based? 

• MarkM88
    If Income based then it says online that you cant receive the disability premium. That's why you only get the enhanced. 

See the top of this page: https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility
  • pabab22
    thanks mark at least i know now you have been a great help take care :) 
  • MarkM88
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi @pabab22 - I think perhaps you're a little confused here about your ESA
    £74.35 + £39.20 = £113.55 which is the support group
                                 +£17.10  Enhanced disability premium
                             = £ 130. 65 Total
    With ESA, there's just the 2 disability premiums, the Enhanced, which you already receive, & the Severe, which you don't qualify for, sorry.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.