Mental Health Deteriorating... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental Health Deteriorating...

MoochingMinnie
MoochingMinnie Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hello Everyone,

Just want to get it out there in the ether that I'm not coping, at all, and don't have anyone to actually speak to.  Overwhelmed with constantly having to deal with the DWP. Received a letter from them yesterday requesting yet another fit note!  When I saw the brown envelope in my letterbox my heart began pounding, hands trembled and my face felt like it was literally burning, especially around my eye area. Does anyone else experience this?  

As of 21.01.2021 I've provided an entire years worth of fit notes and I think my GP is seriously annoyed with me repeatedly requesting them.  They ignored my request for yet another one just before xmas and I'm just too embarrassed to request yet another one.  (I am receiving support with this from some lovely people here at Scope, but it's still terrifying knowing that I could be left without any income whatsoever...then eviction...then homelessness...then ?).

Went to bed last night and just said out loud "Enough! Take me tonight, I really don't care if I wake up tomorrow".  Needless to say, I'm still here...but all I have going around my mind today is "what's the point?'!  I have contact with my local mental health support team, but there's not a lot they can do and I don't want to be hospitalised again, especially considering Covid (not bothered about dying, just not in that way).

Sorry to be such a bore, feeling lost, scared and don't know what to do for the best.

All the best,

Milly

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Your gp should be well aware that DWP require fit notes and should have no objection giving them 

Are you going through the work capability process as when this is completed you wont need fit notes anymore 

We are always here to support but try samaritans or mind for additional support 
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi Milly, sorry to hear of your predicament. I'm not surprised that you feel overwhelmed with so much insecurity around you. 
    It would be helpful to speak to your GP or perhaps fill in an eConsult form online, if they are available in your area. Mention that you need a longer- term plan regarding support for your mental health. It's no good just having a Fit Note just for a week, you need a plan that will offer you ongoing support and assistance.

Please also consider calling the Samaritans or Mind or any mental health charities local to you. 

The DWP should be well aware of the effect their actions can have on people, who do worry about living hand-to-mouth, paying their rent, bills, food etc but they either don't care or they believe that intimidating people is a good way to prevent fraud!
    You might be able to get some advice from your local Social Services. There's also a Charity called Turn2us who might be able to help you. 

Please don't despair, there are some avenues you could explore, as I mentioned above and I'm sure that there are people here at Scope with much greater expertise than I have, who could make some useful suggestions. 
    Sending you a virtual hug. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MoochingMinnie

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling right now, I hope the community can be here to support you, as well as the other services you receive from Scope.

I wonder if your GP was just really busy rather than ignoring you? It's no excuse, but I imagine they're super busy at the moment with the vaccine and your request might have slipped through the net? 

I have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, it would be great if you would get back to us :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MoochingMinnie, sorry to hear of your troubles, please know that you can always talk to this community any time you feel the need, we’re  always here to listen. Chin up.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Sorry Milly, I and my family know from painful experience that the DWP/Job Centre Plus is run by clueless jobsworths who clearly don't know what they're doing in most cases.

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there sorry to hear you aren’t feeling so good with your mental health it sounds very stressful like mentioned above your gp should have no problem providing you a note 

if you are feeling down and need some one to speak to mind and Samaritans are good . Hope you feel better soon 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    And of course we are always here on the forum 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Speak to your GP straight away @MoochingMinnie and explain to them exactly how you are feeling. 

You also need to discuss with your Doctor about getting your fit notes sorted to cover you for a longer period. My doctor used to write mine for periods of 6 weeks up until I was put into the LCWRA group.

I am surprised that the DWP haven't triggered the Work Capability assessment for you at this point seeing that you have been providing these notes for a 12 month period. It is normally triggered soon after providing fit notes for a continual period of 3 months.

Can you or someone on your behalf contact the DWP to enquire about why the Work Capability Assessment has not been activated for you and to request them to do so. If you are successful in the application you will no longer need to provide any fit notes at all to the DWP.

Above all do not feel that you need to suffer alone. You can always phone the Samaritans or speak to the staff here at Scope for further assistance. There is also the forums here to make sure there is always someone around with a sympathetic ear for you.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    The mind is a fragile thing sometimes and mental health can be pushed to the limit reach out fir help and take it where ever you can  don't suffer alone there is no need to we are here to help and support you and as already mentioned there is the samaritins  and mind if you live in Wales there is a 24hr mental health line called call   

Being in lockdown has put mental health to the test and pressure on resources but as already mentioned surprised that your still doing fit notes but I know this does happen alot though especially since the pandemic  you will get through this with help and support take care 
  • MoochingMinnie
    MoochingMinnie Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    edited January 2021
    Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions, they mean a great deal.  I've stayed away from the internet for a few days because I felt really embarrassed and ashamed for writing my original post.  Plus, I tend to 'doomscroll' through the internet and get hooked into everything negative that's happening in the world, which seems limitless in these strange times. Sorry if I offended/worried/annoyed anyone. Thanks again <3

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @MoochingMinnie  you have no reason to be embaresed  every one is going through a bad  time at the moment 

Its easy to look at the negatives  with what is going on in life now 

Hope things get better for you 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    No offence or annoyance caused whatsoever @MoochingMinnie, you have nothing to apologise for. We all just have your best intentions at heart :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    hope you get the help you need, its all good advice, take care, your not alone, plenty of folks here who care, good luck moving forward
  • revel
    revel Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    It's the dread in the brown envelope everyone fears..I'm surprised I'm still here to, it gets like this for many. I do empathise with anyone who fears opening the mail. I would pile it up, leave it and look at it. Now someone else opens it !! that's my vent ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.