Do I have to pay bedroom tax if I still need support, but no one is living with me any more? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have to pay bedroom tax if I still need support, but no one is living with me any more?

Options
sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
I have a three bedroom house and receive Housing Benefit . I pay bedroom tax for one room. My son who lives with me and is my carer will be moving out soon into his own house. I will need to get someone to help care for me sometimes as he will no longer live here. Will I have to pay bedroom tax on the second empty bedroom although I still need support but no one is actually living with me? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you have two extra bedrooms then you will pay more bedroom tax, would it be possible for you to downsize into a 1 bedroom property?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

As above yes you will have yo pay the extra bedroom tax 

If the carer lived with you and stayed overnight that could be different 
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @woodbine
    i will probably have to have someone stay overnight some nights. I’m going to see how I get on. I really don’t want to move as I want my grandchildren to be able to stay. Oh well you can’t have the best of both worlds I’ll just have to pay it.
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @carer1967
    My son was living here and he was my carer. I will probably need someone to stay overnight and am trying to make arrangements with other family members to do this on a rota. I was just thinking what would happen when he moved out.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    If you will regularly need a carer to sleep overnight then you will be allowed a bedroom for that carer and still only have one spare bedroom. Obviously you will need to evidence the need. More information here
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/bedroom-tax

Note that when your son moves out you will be living as a single person and be eligible for single person discount on your Council Tax Bill. Carer’s who stay overnight will not affect this if they are not actually living with you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @calcotti
    thank you for that information. After reading your link I think I meet the criteria for not paying the extra bedroom tax but only time will tell. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.