Photography Business? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Photography Business?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
Above.

Because last year I did a Diploma in Digital Photography, and have some experience of it, I'd like to try and earn some loot from stuff like Wedding photos and that.

Obviously I can't run a Business from the Flat, but would I be able to work remotely? Taking photos at other folks' places? Maybe charge 50 quid a session and use my own camera equipment? I'll admit the equipment's probably a bit basic, a cheap camera I bought from CEX about 18 months ago, but it still works and takes good photos and videos.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrAllen1976! I don't know a great deal about the processes involved in becoming self-employed, but Scope have a page on setting yourself up as self-employed which you might like to read.

For creative industries such as photography, it's often a good idea to have a portfolio that you can show to potential clients. Have you taken lots of pictures on your camera? Perhaps you could pick out your best ones and put a little something together so that if someone asks what style of photographs you take, you'll have something to show them (if you haven't done this already)? 

What kinds of photos would you like to take? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2021
    Hi @MrAllen1976! I don't know a great deal about the processes involved in becoming self-employed, but Scope have a page on setting yourself up as self-employed which you might like to read.

For creative industries such as photography, it's often a good idea to have a portfolio that you can show to potential clients. Have you taken lots of pictures on your camera? Perhaps you could pick out your best ones and put a little something together so that if someone asks what style of photographs you take, you'll have something to show them (if you haven't done this already)? 

I have a few bits on my new website http://www.richards-photos-and-stuff.com/.

• [Deleted User]

I have a few bits on my new website [removed by moderator - link with personal details].

@Tori_Scope I edited the personal details off my website yesterday, can you put the link back please? Or is this just another dumb rule that no advertising is allowed? Like I said to @Cher_Scope last week I give up on the moderating of this forum, you can't say anything hardly because the posts get deleted or heavily edited.

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 the community guidelines do state that advertising is not permitted. The guidelines are there to set boundaries and protect members identities and general safety. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    Ami2301 said:
    @MrAllen1976 the community guidelines do state that advertising is not permitted. The guidelines are there to set boundaries and protect members identities and general safety. 
    I wasn't advertising, I was posting a link to my site, there's a difference.

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I was referring to your comment about no advertising as a rule - I was just stating that the community guidelines do state that advertising is not permitted, and why.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    Ami2301 said:
    I was referring to your comment about no advertising as a rule - I was just stating that the community guidelines do state that advertising is not permitted, and why.
    Fair enough.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The world of photography is very competitive and of course most weddings aren't happening at the moment.
    When we got married 40 years ago (almost) we had the usual photographer and they were good, but a friend of my brother was just starting out and he asked if he could come along as a 2nd photographer he took dozens of B&W  pictures which were absolutely brilliant and really captured the day.  He later when he had set up his own business took pics of both the kids when they were young.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine good money when it all comes back to normal  my Cousin started a photograph business he did weddings and things like thst progressed to a TV news camera man  sadly died in Iraq whilst filming there  but he made alot of money 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.