DO I NEED TO INFORM MY LOCAL COUNCIL/ GOVERNMENT OF MY SDP AWARD? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DO I NEED TO INFORM MY LOCAL COUNCIL/ GOVERNMENT OF MY SDP AWARD?

Could someone please answer this question for me. I’m currently on ESA with the SDP element. I’m also on PIP with Enhanced Disability award and Stand Mobility award. My PIP award was reviewed by telephone assessment in Early November 2020 This was after filling in the forms and posting them for the review 8months earlier in February 2020.  I was told of my PIP award entitlement early in December and they backdated the award to February which was when I applied for the reassessment. my social worker informed me that I should be entitled to the SDP element for my ESA because I’ve been awarded Enhanced Disability daily activity points where as in my previous PIP application I was only awarded points for the Mobility element of PIP.
I rang up the benefit office and they said yes I am entitled to SDP and they have backdated it to the date my PIP award was started from. I have just been on my local governments website and I looked at my register account on there to look at the information they hold about my benefit awards. I noticed that it has not been updated with my SDP benefit which was awarded from February 2020. Could someone please tell me if it is my responsibility to inform them of the SDP ? or would they already know about it but just haven’t updated the information on my account on their website? It’s just I’m worried that they will move onto UC if I inform them of SDP . Is this classed as a change in circumstances? Thanks 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    You should let them know, they may pick it up later from the DWP. They may pick it up in due course from the DWP info they have access but yu should not rely on this.it is going to make any difference to your Housing Benefit and/or CTR if you were already getting income based ESA.
    No it’s not a relevant change of circumstances that would require a move to UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • salfordgirl4321
    salfordgirl4321 Scope Member Posts: 36 Connected
    Hi Calcotti

Thank you very much for your reply and help.

I will inform them of my SDP entitlement award.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.