ESA & PIP wanting to get back into work part-time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA & PIP wanting to get back into work part-time

Options
Auri
Auri Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, 
I'm looking for any advice in regards to getting back into work. 
I have been on benifits for a LONG time and I'm desperate to start doing small amounts of work when I can.
I currently receive esa surport group and  pip both the care and mobility at higher rate.
 self employed would be more suitable so I can have the flexibility my health requires.
I understand bits about permitted work but do you have to be employed by someone to do it or are you able to do permitted work through self employment? Or is that whole different thing? 
Hope this makes sense and 
Thank you  in advance 
Alex..x

Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there I don’t know too much bout benefits but on esa I’m pretty sure you can earn up to 140 a week Or up to 16 hours A week . 

With pip it doesn’t matter what you earn it’s bout whether your job goes against the pip discriptors if that makes sense so say if you told pip you can’t walk far and your in a job where your on your feet constant 5 days a week that would go against your discriptors just a example . 

There be others that can advise you more . 

Have you thought bout opening up a small business on Etsy . I have started knitting again so I’m thinking bout starting a little online etsy shop again . I would really struggle in a work place but every one is different I wish you all the best with it let us know how you get on . 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Auri

Welcome to the community, I hope you're well.

It's good to hear you are wanting to get back into some kind of work, I'm sure you'll be able to succeed in doing so if you put your mind to it :) 

I'm not sure if you know, but Scope has a range of employment services, one of which is called Support to Work, it might be worth giving those a look :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Auri
    Options
    cupcake88 said:
    Hi there I don’t know too much bout benefits but on esa I’m pretty sure you can earn up to 140 a week Or up to 16 hours A week . 

With pip it doesn’t matter what you earn it’s bout whether your job goes against the pip discriptors if that makes sense so say if you told pip you can’t walk far and your in a job where your on your feet constant 5 days a week that would go against your discriptors just a example . 

There be others that can advise you more . 

Have you thought bout opening up a small business on Etsy . I have started knitting again so I’m thinking bout starting a little online etsy shop again . I would really struggle in a work place but every one is different I wish you all the best with it let us know how you get on . 
    Hi, 
    (apologies in advance for the long reply) 
    Honestly I'm just scared of loosing the security that I need and my benifits bring. I've been wanting to do PW for the last few years but 
    I've some bad experience regarding assessments, for example been told as I had a motability vehicle and physically and mentally able to drive occasionally I wasn't disabled enough to get pip. As well as esa assors lying, the long drawn out appeals although won are draining and above stressful. 

The work I would be doing would be more therapeutic than anything else and shouldn't go against any of my claims. Going by the advice available it should be fine but in reality it all depends on the mood and quotas of the person looking at your application. 

Self employed would be more beneficial for me but it evolves more paperwork and as I see it more chance for them to disagree/find fault. 

I am lucky enough to have just found a business that will employ me doing what I intended but with the ability to pick and choose when I work according to my needs. 
    So I'm going to bite the bullet and send in my pw1 next week. 

I'm hoping if all goes well I can then use it as a stepping stone to self employment. 

I just have to stay positive. 

Xx
  • Auri
    Options
    Hello @Auri

Welcome to the community, I hope you're well.

It's good to hear you are wanting to get back into some kind of work, I'm sure you'll be able to succeed in doing so if you put your mind to it :) 

I'm not sure if you know, but Scope has a range of employment services, one of which is called Support to Work, it might be worth giving those a look :) 
    Hi, thank you for the welcome and the links to services, they should be helpful. 
    I'm trying stay positive and ignore my past bad experience with dwp and other peoples PW horror stories. 
     I am  getting together an action plan to ease myself into it, testing employment while gathering the support to eventually moveto self employed. hopefully build a better future for myself that will be of benefit to my physical and mental health.
    Thank you again, it's knowning that there is extra information and surport out there. ?
  • monotone
    monotone Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Auri just read this thread and Im in exactly the same situation as you in terms of benefits receiving and thinking of trying to go back to work part time as and when I am able to around my health, but like you its been a constant battle and stress to get these benefits and all the appeals for 10 years now so loathe to do anything to jeopardise that but also want a future off benefits ..how did you get on? did you do it?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.