Need help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need help

tdotmelty27 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
Hi im 22 i am looking for some advice and help. I receive pip enhanced mobility and enhanced daily living i also receive universal credit deemed lwcra meaning i dont have to look for work or work related activities due to my health. I live at home which is classed as over crowded i am trying to move out into a private rented property 
As my health is not getting any better at home and need my own space and try to get some independence which i really need to work on. How do i know what i am entitled to housing benefits wise how to i prove to a landlord or an estate agent that i receive housing benefits as i currently dont as im living at home and not liable for the housing bills. What other things could i be entitled to? What are the best places to try and find a place to rent for someone who doesnt work (dont want council) the reason i dont want council is because 1 they onlh give single males 1 bedrooms which would be a flat i need a private garden as i dont leave the house so a private garden would be the only sort of outlet i would get to my self also would ideally want 2 bedroom property as having a family member occasionally coming over to help me with some every day task would be helpful this would be like once a week or so.
Just would like some help or advice as its really getting me down.


  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,496 Disability Gamechanger

    To be brutally honest, I think you're really going to struggle to find any private landlord to rent you a property in those circumstances, let alone a 2 bed with a garden.

    I'm looking for the same thing as you now.  I've been living alone for 5 years in a small flat (compromise due to funds when I originally had to move out).  Never missed a rent payment, and thanks to recently winning PIP finally get enough to cover a 2 bed with a garden which I need due to my own worsening conditions...  But I can't find any landlord willing to allow me to move.  I can get a guarantor but they always ask for proof of a ludicrous amount of income from them and I don't know anyone earning enough for their criteria.

    You can find out the local housing allowance (LHA) for any council where you wish to move online.  The PIP award should entitle you to the one bedroom amount, rather than the shared rate which would be standard for your age.  You would also be entitled to council tax reduction but again that varies between councils.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.