PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP QUERY

Carlbenn_88Carlbenn_88 Member Posts: 40 Listener
Hi everyone, my award review forms are with a case manager does it normally take much longer? they are doing a paper based assessment because I told them I will self harm if I have a phone assessment.

Replies

• MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,216 Pioneering
    There is no specific time scales for decision, anywhere up to 8 weeks. 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,002 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

If your forms and evidence are with a decision maker it would suggest a paper based assessment 

If you have not been contacted for an assessment 

However it will friend if there is enough info for them to make a paper based 

How do you know they are with case manager ? 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,387 Disability Gamechanger
    @Carlbenn_88 have they told you they are doing a paper assessment or are you making an assiumption based on your request?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • Carlbenn_88Carlbenn_88 Member Posts: 40 Listener
    edited February 14
    @woodbine because I've told them I would [removed by moderator - description of self harm method] if they put me through it. and someone called me from PIP to say it's getting done by paper based ss they have enough evidence. plus they wouldn't chance it as I have evidence of self harming. 
    edited February 14
    @janer1967 they are doing a paper based assessment. as I told them on the phone I will [removed by moderator - description of self harm method] if I have a telephone assessment. So they have obviously taken that very serious and wouldn't allow it to go a head as they have a duty of care and would take that risk. 
    That's good then all you can do is wait now for the decision  

Fingers crossed let us know how you get on 

My last review was paper based but the DM did call me and asked a few questions before making the decision 
    edited February 14
    @janer1967 just glad there doing a paper based assessment. thought they would say if you [removed by moderator - description of self harm method] that's down to you but they have taken it that serious that they have decided to do a paper based. Does that surprise you hun ?
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,959

Scope community team

Hi @Carlbenn_88! Just to make you aware, I edited some of your comments on this post which outlined a specific self harm method. This is for the safety of both you and our other members.

I know that Ross has signposted you to these before, but I just wanted to remind you of the following resources:
    • Mind: how can I help myself now? 
    • Samaritans: call 116 123, or email [email protected] (you don't have to be suicidal to get in touch with them)
    • SHOUT: text SHOUT to 85258 if you prefer to speak over text
    • Calm Harm app: an app designed to help you resist or manage the urge to self-harm
    I've also sent you another check-in email, so please do take a look and let us know if there's anything more we can do to help :)
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    No it doesnt surprise me 

I didnt ask for paper based but due to my form being detailed and backed up with small amount of evidence they didnt need anything else 

But mine is physical disability I am an amputee and vision impaired so they know there will be no change 

Good luck anyway 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,532 Disability Gamechanger
    To be clear, a case manager is a decision maker. I've no idea where 8 weeks comes from. The legal position is that they must make a position in a reasonable time and a court case has held that that must be inside 13 weeks other than for exceptional reasons. Generally decisions are made inside 2 weeks but many DMs are working from home so that introduces delays. A purely paper based assessment won't especially complicate that.
    edited February 15
    @mikehughescq thank you for a reply. they have confirmed to me that they are doing a paper based assessment. probably with all the new evidence I have provided. I did tell them though if I get a phone assessment I will (Removed by moderator, graphic description) . as I am getting help with my self harming! do you think that was a big factor in them making that decision for a paper based? or would that have no bearing on it. If you can reply that would be marvelous!
    As per my wall request and multiple requests here please do not tag me.

I’m not sure I see the relevance at this point. It is what it is. 

The decision on whether an oral or paper assessment takes place is informed by multiple factors in line with DWP guidance. It’s impossible to say what influenced that but, if I’m being brutally honest, I’m not sure that suggesting “if you don’t do x I will do y” is ever a wise tactic. Regardless of intent it runs the risk of looking like an attempt to push them into a specific outcome. It’s similar to getting anxious about delays. I’ve lost count of the number of anxious claimants I’ve seen who have pushed DWP into quick decisions only to be horrified when quick = rushed = refusal. It is almost always better to let things take their course. 

I think there’s also an assumption that an oral assessment will be worse than a paper assessment and that has certainly not been the case during lockdown when telephone assessments have been significantly better overall than face to face ever was. It’s also worth remembering that you risk boxing yourself into a corner by pushing for a paper assessment if the reality is that the evidence points to a different award than the one you wanted. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,387 Disability Gamechanger
    Totally agree, whilst i think carefully before saying this, it smacks a little of "if you do this i'll do that" @Carlbenn_88 what are you going to do if the paper based assessment is not to your liking? will you drop your case and walk away? or would you go all the way from MR (which could involve a conversation) to Appeal which will involve a conversation?
    @woodbine i would go the whole way as I am fully entitled to what I believe I am getting possibly more. by all means they can do a phone assessment but it's with my brother as he's my appointee. so makes no difference to me tbh. I would never give up! hopefully all the evidence is enough for them to make a decision.
    So it's perfectly ok for them to do a "phone assessment"? that's the direct opposite of what you started out saying is it not?
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,097

Scope community team

I think what @Carlbenn_88 is saying is that he would strongly prefer a paper based assessment, the reasons for which have been detailed previously, however if a phone assessment was the only option then his appointed person would assist with that.
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
    @Ross_Scope thanks for clearing that up. that's correct! my appointee is more than happy to speak on my behalf. will keep you all posted when I get my letter. 
    A little confusion on my part then. How have you communicated with them? Via form or phone? The nature of appointees is that they act in your place on the basis that you’re not mentally capable of handling your own financial affairs. If you’re making contact instead of your appointee e.g. by phone, it potentially starts to suggest your need for an appointee is not clear cut.
    @mikehughescq he does the phone calls for me. but if they need to ask me anything I can talk. anyway I have received my decision today and Im bloody made up!!!!
Sign in or join us to comment.