New to housing - advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New to housing - advice

Options
clubby
clubby Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, first time posting & really hoping to get some advice. I have done some searches on other's people's posts but all in different situations, so sorry if this is a post that has been done many times. I'm in my 30's and live at home still with my parents & nephew (over 18), i am registered disabled & recieve PIP, i do work also (different borough/council to where i live). I'm desperatly looking to finally get my own place as due to my disability living here is becoming an issue as well as mentally, the house is not ideal for me to use anymore, i'm needing to have everything on the ground floor as my condition has got worse & will never improve if anything worsen (confirmed by hospitals). My parents rent the house from the council but don't want to downsize or go themselves as they are much older & believe this is where they want spend rest of there days - also they can't assist me anymore as due to there age can't cope to assist me. As i'm older mentally it's not also good being here with lots of arguments. I really don't know how to go about anything, who i turn to first or call, also i won't lie i'm scared i may be put somewhere really bad, i read stories of people with disabilities being hounded/harrased/physically attacked on estates etc - i totally understand i ain't going to be given some luxry ground floor bungalow in middle of nowhere near no one, but i can't help but feel worried as was attacked many years ago and it's left me with severe anxiety

sorry to ramble on, i just really don't know where i start or who i call. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

First of all would be to apply to the council for social housing though they do have massive waiting lists make sure they are clear of your needs 

Also refer yourself for care needs assessment and ot will come and assess housing needs and do report which you can then use to give you higher priority for social housing if it recommends disabled adapted property 

You can refer through gov website 

Another option is to private rent as your working and not relying on benefits you should stand a better chance of finding a landlord 

Good luck hope you find something 
  • clubby
    clubby Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi 

First of all would be to apply to the council for social housing though they do have massive waiting lists make sure they are clear of your needs 

Also refer yourself for care needs assessment and ot will come and assess housing needs and do report which you can then use to give you higher priority for social housing if it recommends disabled adapted property 

You can refer through gov website 

Another option is to private rent as your working and not relying on benefits you should stand a better chance of finding a landlord 

Good luck hope you find something 
    hi thanks for the reply and info. i make some calls tomorrow, only issue with private renting is i could never afford on what is offer & then it's finding something adapted to me, like kitchens, cupboards etc, everything has be completely low to ground for me, steps/stalls not the answer anymore due to the further issues i'm finding with stability. 

do i have to ring the council of the house where i live, or say can i ring a council in different area, say closer to where i work? i do have to reply on family/friends to assist me now with things so have them all in both area's. I see alot of the council sites refer to online forms, but it's not the same trying to get your point across on what you need or situation you're in. 

totally understand the waiting list will be huge. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To apply to council each have different criteria for accepting you on the list 

Majority only accept if you have a local connection eg you have lived in that area for at least 2 years or have family living in areas 

You will need to check out the councils you are interested in 

Majority as well only accept online applications and I would imagine housing offices are currently closed to public but I'm not sure 

There is usually enough space for you to explain your circumstances 

I was on the list for 18 months before I got anywhere and was in band b and didnt even get anywhere near despite being housebound due to access then moved to band a because I was 1 month from being homeless 

I dont know where you are looking but fingers crossed for you 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.