Happy Valentine's Day! How did you meet your partner? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Happy Valentine's Day! How did you meet your partner?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
In case you'd managed to avoid it: it's Valentine's Day today!

Whether you're a single pringle, or all loved-up, we want to know what you think about Valentine's Day, and whether you have any cute or funny stories about how you met your partner. You're also welcome to share stories about how you met one of your friends :)

Valentine's Day can be a difficult day for some people to get through, so Mind have put together a really good resource on Valentine's Day and mental health, with sections on:
  • Loneliness
  • Low self-esteem
  • Mental health in relationships
  • What to do if you're struggling

Do you usually do anything for Valentine's Day? Have you done anything nice today (whether you're in a relationship or not!)? Do you have any good stories on how you met your partner, or a friend?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good topic 

I think it's all just a profit making day tbh 

I am in a very casual relationship and he was working away all weekend so not seen each other this have communicated 

In normal times would probably just have nice say together but dont bother with cards or gifts 

I think it had become too commercial and lost what it was intended for eg to let someone know annonymously you liked them 

My dad when he was with us used to send me a card if I was single 

I met my current partner on tinder lol 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I met my partner at a party following a gig on a Saturday night. Our eyes met and that was it, sometimes you just know. ?

( it did help that I sent flowers to her office and wouldn’t take no for an answer! Ha ha.)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Welliboots93
    Welliboots93 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I met my partner over 4-years ago on Tinder! We had a laugh from our first ever conversation to living together now! Had the best memories together ❤️

We don't celebrate valentines day but celebrate national pizza on 9th Feb instead!

Today, we took time to focus on ourselves instead! He chose to get cuddled up on the couch and watch his programmes, whilst I chose to go for a walk and then pamper myself before we both go back to work tomorrow ?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I met my current partner on a  chat forum we met and been together since ❤
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I met Ewan one night when he came to see my then boyfriend. My first impression of Ewan was that i thought he was the most arrogant person going and hated him.

2 years later, a month after i split up with my then boyfriend, i was out with two of my friends at our local park. One of my friends spotted Ewan at a distance and shouted him over. i thought "oh joy!" Anyway, they got talking about this fancy dress party that Ewan was going to and he all made us guess who he was dressing up as.

It turned out he was going as Spiderman, well my ears pricked up (my love for superheroes had only recently begun). After a while, he left to go home. Hours later, i get a friend request on Facebook. I didn't know he split up with his then girlfriend. We just got chatting, most of which was banter.

The next afternoon, we hung out on the park, before he had to go to work, just getting to know each other. He walked me home and it turned out he was working at the taxi rank which was 2 doors away from me. In between working, we were texting and he asked if i wanted to go for a walk with him when he finished work that evening. 

He finished at 11pm and we walked along the beach, then sat by the quay. We just kept talking and talking, walked further down to the end of the same beach, where it was a bit more secluded. We sat on a bench and continued talking. Ewan was the one who started whinging he was cold, so he asked for a hug but I could tell he wanted more of a snuggle than just a quick hug.

I snuggled up to him and laid my head on his shoulder, he kissed my forehead and then we had our first kiss. I didn't get home until just before 6am... whoops!

It turned out that Ewan decided to walk a different route home that day we spotted him from a distance in the park. So who knows if we would be together now if he hadn't have walked a different route.

Someone i hated, i ended up loving and we have been together nearly 8 years now :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ami2301 oh gosh that was so lovely  I met my partner online and we walked along the beach ⛱ lol and went in the cafe on the marina and had a fry up lol  that was 20 years ago we did alot that day showing me around the area ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    We met in June 1980 at the pub where I worked part time, we arranged a date and she stood me up, 3 weeks later her mum went mad at her for "standing that nice young man up", but the week after I flew to Austria for a holiday, 5 weeks after I got back we got engaged and have been married 40 years this Autumn. And I love her just as much now as i did then.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Ewan wrote those exact words in your last sentence @woodbine, in my card today :) i do love a good love story!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    My wife was the manager of a cake/sandwich shop around the corner from where I worked. I had not long been out of a bad marriage and was warned by a friend that her son was planning to invite me to a party where he was going to set me up with a blind date. As the party was not really one I could get out off so I asked her if she would like to go with me and she said yes. We've been together for 30 odd years now.

As for yesterday, most of it was spent waiting for her to come home from hospital. She broke her arm and wrist in a fall on Friday and needed metal plates inserted. We were expecting her home Saturday, but as her blood oxygen kept falling they would not let her leave until it was steady.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    My best memory of Valentine's came 30 years ago, my ex from school kind of "proposed" lol, well she said to me "Are we gerrin' married then?" and me being 14 going on 15 at the time my response was "Ooh I don't know", 30 years later I half wish I'd accepted and seen what happened about 14 and half months later when we both left school and could legally tie the knot at 16.

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I met my wife to at Gatwick airport, we literally ran into each other, she was on her way home to America. I was on my way to Italy. We had a quick coffee and a chat together then had to run to catch our planes. We stayed in contact via e-mail and then shortly after she came over here for a holiday and to meet me. She never went back, she gave up her job, left her home and family behind and we were married on Valentines day 20years ago. So we celebrate our anniversary rather than Valentines day.   
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Some wonderful stories here! Thank you all for sharing :) It really does show how sometimes a chance encounter can lead to something so much more.

Best wishes for your wife's recovery @Geoark.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I met my partner in school, she was really awkward and kept poking me on the arm for some reason :D 

Anyway, 9 years later and here we are still!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ibelive2020
    Ibelive2020 Community member Posts: 799 Pioneering
    @Ross_Scope lol i met my partner on social média nearly 10 years ágó we was born in sámé hospitál 3 years apart and grew up in sámé town lol bút i did nőt know thát till we got together plus its my birthday and my partners birthdays in octóber 1 day apart lol fate if you ask me ????

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.