Should UC be taking my ESA money from my claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Should UC be taking my ESA money from my claim?

dawnk Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
can anyone please help me. 
I claim universal credit and Esa (Support group). 
Should universal credit be taking my esa money from my claim? 
I have been told they should not be due to the benefit cap not applying to esa support group. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks dawn. 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,385 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Yes they should. Any ongoing ESA payments are deducted in full from UC.
    It has nothing to do with the benefit cap.
    Financially receiving both ESA and UC is the same as just getting the UC. However you are getting Class 1 NI credits from your ESA claim (as against Class 3 for UC) and, of course, you get fortnightly ESA payments rather than just the monthly UC payments which can help you cashflow.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dawnk
    dawnk Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,578 Scope online community team
    @dawnk, have you checked that you've been placed in the relevant group on UC as well? So for example if you're in the support group on ESA you should be receiving LCWRA on UC.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.