UC, carer element and LAWRA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

UC, carer element and LAWRA

lighthouse Member Posts: 8 Listener
If anyone knows the answer to this please reply. 

A couple getting UC, with one person in the LAWRA group and the other person being their carer (with carer element and carers allowance), if the carer works and no longer gets carer allowance due to earnings being above the limit, can the carer still get the carers element in the UC claim? Also would the work allowance in UC (£292) be applied to their earnings or is that only applied to the earnings of the person who is in the LAWRA group? 


  • lighthouse
    lighthouse Member Posts: 8 Listener
    If the carer person in the couple only works part time would they have to undertake job searching while claiming UC ? Have been told previously that if the carer gets carer allowance they are exempt from UC job searching but is that still the case say if they stop carer allowance, get the carer element in UC and work part time ?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 5,827 Disability Gamechanger
    If they are earning more than £128/week they should inform Carer’s Allowance and stop the CA claim.

    Provided they are still providing 35 hours of care/week they are still entitled to the carer element of UC and will still be treated as a carer with no work requirements. (I don’t know whether it's sensible to post a note in UC journal confirming that although the CA claim has been stopped you are still caring.)

    The WA applies to the joint claim so the carer will benefit from the WA if that is the only earned income.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.