SDP Transitional Payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP Transitional Payment

Options
TeddyB22
TeddyB22 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
This is a rather long winded question so I've split it in to 2 parts. I'd appreciate any input.
P1: Has anyone received any compensation from the loss of sdp when being transferred over to UC? Do you also receive the transitional payment every month? I believe it's £120. 
I stopped getting sdp & edp about 14 mths ago after I claimed UC. I did ask on my journal and then over the phone that they left a note for my UC agent but I've heard nothing since.
P2: My younger brother has been really struggling since losing his job last year. He was in the Contribution Support ESA group. I think he got around £87 per week. Luckily he lives in my brother's house and he doesn't charge him any rent. ESA have told him he has used up all his contributions for year and won't be paid anything again until 20th March. I told him a year ago to apply for Lcwra but he thinks he knows better and didn't bother. Now he's living on handouts. A couple of weeks ago his girlfriend died of a hear attack and he found her. His mental health is very precarious at the minute. There is no help for him, no counselling and his doctor won't prescribe sleeping tablets. We are very worried he might harm himself. 
Citizens Advice have given him food vouchers but he's embarrassed about asking for help. He says he's applied for hardship payments but received paltry amounts. Before he lost his job he did slot for me. He put me up for 7 months when I was ill and homeless. If I'm not going to be getting the sdp transitional payment is it possible he could apply for the carers element in UC? Would I lose any money? I'm on ESA & Lcwra. I've told him to go to CA. Maybe he should be on A Income Related ESA. It's so confusing.
Many thanks for listening.
TB.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Information on the SDP transitional element here https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Transitional-protection-Universal-Credit

I am unclear. You refer to your brother possibly asking for carer element in UC. Is your brother claiming UC now? If so ESA stopping makes no difference to his total benefit amount because the ESA is deducted from the UC. 
    TeddyB22 said:
    He was in the Contribution Support ESA group. I think he got around £87 per week. Luckily he lives in my brother's house and he doesn't charge him any rent. ESA have told him he has used up all his contributions for year and won't be paid anything again until 20th March. I told him a year ago to apply for Lcwra but he thinks he knows better and didn't bother. 
    I'm afraid this doesn't make sense. If he is in the Support Group ESA would be paid indefinitely. You can't 'use up your contributions on ESA'. If not in the Support Group contribution based ESA would stop after 365 days but it wouldn't then start again. If he in the Support Group he has already been found to have LCWRA - it's the same thing.
    How long has he been claiming ESA?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.