Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I own two semi detached houses together - can my partner on benefits move in next door?

garyrob81garyrob81 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Obviously this is a unique, and strange one. But my partner who receives Universal Credit and PIP needs to move out from her mother's soon as she's downsizing.

Anyway, as it happens the property next door to me which I also own (two semi-detached properties) is having the tenant leave in 2 months. 

Could her and her sister move in and pay rent to me? We are in a relationship but do not live together or share finances. The rent would be official income to me, taxed, etc.

Obviously there's a giant, gaping conflict of interest, as she is literally a party wall away from me, but officially separate properties.

She is delighted at this opportunity because she knows with me being her landlord she will never be forced to up and leave. 

Before anyone asks, she can't live with me as my brother and his young son already do, and she has a dog who doesn't like children.


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,205 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    Personally I cant see why not but I'm no expert on this 

    To claim HB.she would need a tenancy agreement 

    I would contact CAB or welfare rights 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,534 Disability Gamechanger
    @garyrob81 hi and welcome to scope, I would if I were you read up on what is know as "contrived tenancies"
    it usually applies when the persons involved are related, but as you describe her as your "partner" it may apply.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
Sign in or join us to comment.