I own two semi detached houses together - can my partner on benefits move in next door? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I own two semi detached houses together - can my partner on benefits move in next door?

Options
garyrob81
garyrob81 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Obviously this is a unique, and strange one. But my partner who receives Universal Credit and PIP needs to move out from her mother's soon as she's downsizing.

Anyway, as it happens the property next door to me which I also own (two semi-detached properties) is having the tenant leave in 2 months. 

Could her and her sister move in and pay rent to me? We are in a relationship but do not live together or share finances. The rent would be official income to me, taxed, etc.

Obviously there's a giant, gaping conflict of interest, as she is literally a party wall away from me, but officially separate properties.

She is delighted at this opportunity because she knows with me being her landlord she will never be forced to up and leave. 

Before anyone asks, she can't live with me as my brother and his young son already do, and she has a dog who doesn't like children.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Personally I cant see why not but I'm no expert on this 

To claim HB.she would need a tenancy agreement 

I would contact CAB or welfare rights 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @garyrob81 hi and welcome to scope, I would if I were you read up on what is know as "contrived tenancies"
    it usually applies when the persons involved are related, but as you describe her as your "partner" it may apply.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.