Fit note — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Fit note

ramaq Member Posts: 4 Connected
Posting on behalf of a friend. 

She is getting universal credit and mobility component of PIP. 

UC now want her to get fit notes from
GP to show that she can’t work. She has been told that if she doesn’t then she needs to look for work.

She can’t work because of her disability. So little confused here. GP is saying that she is getting PIP and that should be enough proof to
state that she has illness and can’t work. UC saying that is not the case.

Any advice?


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,239 Disability Gamechanger

    Ingottunsttly you do need to provide fit notes for UC ot be expected to look for work.  Once a work capability assessment is completed she wont need anymore but this process can take months and she will need to supply fit notes until it id complete 

    Pip and UC are 2 different benefits with different criteria 

    Pip looks at your daily living and mobility , uc looks at abolotu yo complete any sort of work 

    Any more questions just ask 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,270 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP can and is paid to people who work, so it isn't proof that you can't work, if a fit note is asked for then that's what's needed, maybe she needs to explain this to the GP?
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 2,996 Disability Gamechanger
    ramaq said: GP is saying that she is getting PIP and that should be enough proof to state that she has illness and can’t work. UC saying that is not the case.
    PIP is nothing to do with work and lots of people get PIP and work.
    If your GP thinks that you have a health condition that limits your ability to work they are required to issue a Fit Note under the terms of their contract.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.