Apprenticeship adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Apprenticeship adjustments

Options
Kit_
Kit_ Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hi everyone, I'm considering doing an apprenticeship but I can't find information on how easy it is to get accommodations made. The main thing I'd need is to do half as many hours per week over twice as many years, has anyone done that or tried to?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hi @Kit_

Although I don't know anyone who has personally gone down that route, I think it would be a fair reasonable adjustment to ask for if/when you find an employer.  About support for disabled apprentices, this National Apprenticeship Guide says:

What support can I get if I have learning difficulty or a disability?

The National Apprenticeship Service (part of the Department for Education) is committed to making sure apprenticeships are open and available to all individuals. This means making sure the right level of support is available to remove barriers to education and training, so that learners can make the most of their potential.

If you have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan or a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN), or have had one in the past, there may be flexibility around the English and maths qualifications you would need to complete your apprenticeship. Please speak to your employer or training provider for more information.

As with any other job, you can request extra support known as ‘reasonable adjustments’ for help with the application process and for support on the apprenticeship itself (both at work and while studying). The government provides extra funding to support apprentices with SEN. Payments of £1000 each are available for training providers and employers with apprentices aged 19-24 who have an EHC plan.

Training providers can also claim up to £150 per month (up to £1,800 per year) from the Education and Skills Funding Agency to meet the costs of providing additional support for learning or reasonable adjustments under the equality act for apprentices. In some cases, excess learning support of up to £19,000 is available.

And you'd also be entitled to the Access to Work fund which helps with providing support based on a person’s needs. For example, an Access to Work grant can pay for: – special equipment, adaptations or support worker services. Visit the Government's Access to Work webpage to find out more. 

I hope that eases some of your concern about doing an apprenticeship and good luck :) 

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cher_Scope that's realy good information  thank you 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.