SDP (PIP/UC) Previous ESA Caliment - How to claim Compensation award — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

SDP (PIP/UC) Previous ESA Caliment - How to claim Compensation award

TellMell Member Posts: 17 Listener
edited March 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, All.

I was on ESA 2 years ago but was transitioned onto the UC Element with the Disability Added (i forget the name of the benefit)

But i recently won a PIP tribunal (medium rate and advance mobility) and so i have been advised by a friend that i can also claim the SDP compensation award as i would be eligible for the SDP.

Can anybody advise what the circumstances are and how i would make a claim for the award.

my initial thought was to make a journal entry on my UC application, but i am not sure if this is the appropriate method.

If i can avoid a phone call i would be happier as i donnot like talking over the phone and would rather deal with this through online application or in my journal. i will do whatever is necessery though.

Any help is greatly appreciated.


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,509 Disability Gamechanger

    You cannot claim SDP on UC it doesnt exist 
  • TellMell
    TellMell Member Posts: 17 Listener
    edited March 2021
    Yes i am aware that it no longer exists for a UC Claiment , Hoiwever there is a compensation award for those who would be entitled the SDP on ESA but where transitioned over to Universal Credit.

    Not sure on where i stand with this at the moment though.

    he Severe Disability Premium does not exist in Universal Credit

    If you were entitled to a Severe Disability Premium on Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or income-related Jobseeker's Allowance at the time you claimed Universal Credit, you are entitled to compensation payments. These are sometimes called transitional payments but they are different from transitional protection.  If you think you are entitled to it and it does not appear on your Universal Credit statement, you can write a note in your Universal Credit journal.

    However i have been told i can claim the compensation payment, so this is what i am asking about. thanks all the same.

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,509 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry my mistake 

    You can always try on your journal and see if you get a reply I would signpost it as a payment query as these then tend to go to a DM rather than general enquiries 

    Sdp is normally claimed over phone but UC queries through journal 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,390 Disability Gamechanger
    I think post information about the ESA decisions in your journal (probably in the payments section). Ask that they review your UC award for entitlement to the 'SDP transitional element' and recalculate all of your monthly payments accordingly.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TeddyB22
    TeddyB22 Member Posts: 178 Courageous
    I asked a question about this about a week ago but received no reply so I'm glad to see you have. I am in the same situation. I was put into UC about 14 my nths ago. I sent a message on my UC journal and was told they new nothing about transitional payments or compensation. I rang DWP and they told me I qualified and they would flag it. That was 10 mths ago.
    While they say if you are entitled to something they get intouch in my experience you have to push it.
    Good luck with everything.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.