Need to hide my disability to have a career — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need to hide my disability to have a career

Options
Jadey1516
Jadey1516 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited March 2021 in Work and employment
Hi all,

I've grown up feeling proud of being Dyspraxic and whilst it has presented challenges, I've worked through them and fought hard to achieve grades in subjects with report style writing.

I was diagnosed at 5 so have been aware of the condition and proudly open about it throughout my life despite at least one person at each stage thinking I'm "mucking about" or am not intelligent. 

However, I'm now starting to really think carefully as management in my current firm (a large multinational), have been denying me opportunities using "my writing" as an excuse despite it showing little to no difference from neurotypical peers, promoted peers who have openly bullied me about my condition and ignored OH reports. There's considerably more and been ongoing for 1.5 years despite numerous reports. 

I've tried looking for Neurodiverse hiring programmes but unfortunately can only find ones for Autism or Dyslexia in the UK and none in Wales. I have only considered these programmes as I can't think of any other option in finding somewhere that treats me as a person first. My preference is being hired regardless of my condition but I need to be in an environment where people don't just see that one part of me. 

I'm starting to think my only option is a new employer but to hide my disabilities as I'm 28 and don't want to lose more years being denied a career.

Any advice is much appreciated 
Tagged:

Comments

• kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Options
    I know what you feel like. I did a management course but find it hard to be employed as you have to tell them everything etc and how they judge you etc 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Jadey1516

Your current employer doesn't sound fantastic at handling this, worth noting that many other employers, the vast majority even, would be considerate enough to accommodate your condition and not use it against you. 

If you can't get to where you want to be with your current employer, and ultimately if you aren't happy, seeking something elsewhere might be a good option for you, however I would personally not advise hiding your disability from a new employer on a permanent basis.

Hiding it would prevent you from receiving any additional support you might be entitled to.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

You should never need to hide your disability and doing so could put you at risk of not having reasonable adjustments put in place for your well being 

There are lots companies out there who support disabled  employees to thrive but also a lot that dont 

You can normally gauge their perspective in first few months and even during recruitment process 

If you have any concerns over your current employer speak to hr and ask on company policy regarding accommodating equality act 

You can also get lots advice from ACAS over any employment issues 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.