New job, fortnightly pay - UC HELP!!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New job, fortnightly pay - UC HELP!!!

Options
Sammyj1230
Sammyj1230 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all, 

Im Sam, im new on here. 

Just wondering if someone can advise me. 
Im a single parent receiving UC with the LCWRA element.  

I’ve just finished my first week at a new job working 12.5 per week, the problem is its fortnightly pay, meaning in April i will receive 3 lots of wages when in theory one of them should be for March but because of fortnighly pay it falls on the 2nd April. 
This will happen in other months aswell - not just April. 

Am i going to be worse off in those months because;
- the assessment period will calculate that ive had higher earnings so i will receive less UC?
- i claim LCWRA so in these months the total salary will be above the threshold which contradicts me claiming for the LCWRA. 

Im wondering now if its even worth me doing this job!?  

Would be grateful of any advice. 

S. X

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Sammyj1230

Unfortunately when you're paid fortnightly there will be a few times each year that three lots of wages fall into an assessment period. Over the course of the year, it shouldn't make you any worse off (unless your earnings are usually below your work allowance) but it can be difficult to adjust for those months where it falls. Those paid 4-weekly have a similar problem where once a year 2 lots of wages fall into an AP.

A couple of things to note:
    There is no strict earnings limit when you have LCWRA. So 3 wages falling into an AP shouldn't impact your LCWRA award.

I don't know how much you're currently earning but I'll use the 2021 minimum wage amounts as an example.

In a usual fortnight your earnings would be £222.75, so when two lots of wages fall UC will use £445.50 as your earnings. If you've housing in your claim, this will mean they deduct £96.71 from your UC for you earning £445.50

If 3 lots of wages fall, you'll have earnt £668.25, so UC will lower your total UC by £237.04.

So even though your deductions are higher, your overall income is still much higher with you working, even on a 3-pay month. It'll still be below the threshold entitling you to free school meals, free prescriptions and other healthcare such as dentist appointments. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.