How does the reconsideration process work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How does the reconsideration process work?

Joe__F
Joe__F Community member Posts: 29 Connected
edited March 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My PIP claim was recently denied.  I found the letter that they sent pretty intense, it's all 'You have said that you're not able to do X.  I have looked at the evidence that you provided and the assessor's report and I have decided that you are able to do X'. The language is pretty seriously invalidating and authoritarian, it's taken me days to calm down since it first arrived. It definitely feels like DWP have gone out of their way to intentionally create a hostile environment.

At the moment I'm trying to work out how the mandatory reconsideration process works, which seems to be quite opaque (presumably intentionally?). The letter I got declining my PIP application is not very clear about how the reconsideration works, and my friend rang and spoke to DWP and he seemed to come off the call more confused about the process than when he started.

This is my current understanding:
My letter is dated 24th of February, so this means that I have until the 24th of March to apply for a reconsideration. I will then have one month from the date that I apply from the reconsideration to submit any additional evidence, which must be submitted in the post.
Does anybody know if this is correct?

Also does anybody know how to inform DWP that I want to start the reconsideration process? My friend wasn't sure if it's possible to do this over the phone, or if I have to send a letter

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

You gave 1 month after decision letter to apply for mr 

You can do it over phone but then you are relying on the person on other end typing it all down correctly. 

It is best to put it in writing . Go through each descriptor you think you should score points on and give 2 real examples of what happens when you do the task 

Hope this helps there is lots info in our PIP section to help as well 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

That letter is created from a standard template so try not to take it personally.  It does feel very confrontational but it's the same for everyone.

You can apply for the MR over the phone, but you're best to do it in writing to make sure you've got all the points across that you wanted to, and so that you have a paper copy to refer to in future if needed.  It's best to add any additional evidence at the same time as the letter, or as soon as possible after the phonecall.  I'm not aware of a specific deadline for extra evidence but you should request the MR within one month, as you say.
  • Joe__F
    edited March 2021
    Hi, thanks to both of you for your advice.  I've read online that they sometimes accept extensions due to personal circumstances,  so I'm planning to send this in a letter:

"I'd like to apply for a mandatory reconsideration to my recently declined PIP claim. I am currently studying and must submit my degree by the 31st of March. My deadline has already been extended by one year due to disability and there is no possibility of further extension. Due to my disability I am already struggling to complete this work on time, and I cannot organise additional evidence for my PIP claim at the same time as completing my studies due to my disability. I will write to you with a more complete letter in response to your refusal of my PIP claim, and with additional evidence from my supporting healthcare professionals, as soon after the 31st of March as possible, and latest by the 23rd of April"

Does anyone have any advice about doing this?
    I appreciate that they may come back to me and say "no we're sorry we can't wait until 23rd of April", but I think if that's what they say I'll just have to accept it. I genuinely don't have the resources to finish my thesis and deal with this at the same time.  I was really surprised to get the letter so soon, I was told it would take 8 weeks for them to come to a decision after the assessment but the letter arrived after 3-weeks in the end.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Although you are supposed to request an MR within one month of the date on the decision letter you can submit request an MR later than this but no later than 13 months from the date of the letter. If DWP refuse to accept the late MR you can still appeal to the tribunal service.
    Some information here Challenging a PIP decision - mandatory reconsideration - Citizens Advice

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Joe__F, I had my phone assessment, I had lodged a change of circumstances so had to fill in the claim pack as a new claim. Having had the assessment I waited a week then phoned the DWP and requested a copy of the assessment report.on receiving it I worked out my award would be the same as before I applied for a change of circumstances. Having the report allowed me to prepare evidence and a 10 page document listing all the points that where mentioned in my application but where not addressed in the assessment or the report. The HP kept citing that as I drove an automatic car and used mobility scooters I should be able to manage the activities/descriptors with little or no assistance. So when the award letter came I contacted the DWP informing them I was requesting an mandatory reconsideration of my assessment. The lady offered a phone consultation which I refused as I was sending my information by post. I posted Tuesday 1120hrs second class recorded delivery and it arrived 1330 Wednesday the next day .so I waited over the weekend then phoned the DWP who confirmed they had received the information.
  • Joe__F
    Hello all,  thanks for your comments.
    @Username_removed ;  so if I understand correctly then your advice would be to wait until I've collected the necessary evidence, then send it all in together with a letter asking  for the reconsideration,  and don't worry about it being two or three weeks after the date on their letter?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.