Does anyone else here do gaming streaming?! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone else here do gaming streaming?!

MariaNicolette
MariaNicolette Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi all!  

So, I believe that gaming has strong well-being benefits. Whether you have a disability, or mental health reasons. It's like art therapy right?

I married a gamer guy. I am so happy I did! I got into gaming mostly because of him. We both love mmo rpgs (though he plays other types too) and both just play PC games as we dont own a consol.

Last month during lockdown we decided in our late 30s/early 40s to become streamers/youtubers! My husband posts regular videos on his Youtube channel - mostly GTA and EVE online.

Whereas.... I live stream on Twitch and I must say I am loving it! I am getting to know the ropes using Twitch and Discord, having people join my channel and chat with me while I play live. I am connecting a lot and I find the gaming plus the social factor is really helping me feel healthier. I feel I have more energy day by day now.

I stream on twitch.tv/vesporav 

Does anyone else do this and can I follow your channel and live gameplay? 
Tagged:

Comments

• IceyG
    IceyG Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hiii!  I am relatively new to twitch also, started properly last year.  I stream Final Fantasy, Valheim, Planetside 2 etc.  I see you play Neverwinter, I played that on playstation but my friend stopped playing, I don't like playing those kind of games solo , even though you can join with randoms. 

My twitch is : twitch.tv/iceygaming87

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MariaNicolette

Thanks for sharing this, gaming has certainly been a huge help for me in the last year or so, it's like a social event. I'm delighted you are enjoying Twitch, I've dabbled in it myself but I must admit I rarely stream, and if I do it's directly from my PS5. 

You and your husband have some great taste in games there :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MariaNicolette
    IceyG said:
    Hiii!  I am relatively new to twitch also, started properly last year.  I stream Final Fantasy, Valheim, Planetside 2 etc.  I see you play Neverwinter, I played that on playstation but my friend stopped playing, I don't like playing those kind of games solo , even though you can join with randoms. 

My twitch is : twitch.tv/iceygaming87

Yesss!!! I am so excited to watch (if thats ok?). I will pop on over. I want to play Final Fantasy a lot, been telling my husband for ages and we just keep playing the games we already have because it's a grind. I play currently TERA and Neverwinter which I stream, in the background I play WoW too, I tried Trine which was fun and Machinarium. I have Valheim as of yesterday and planning to stream it with my neighbour, 4 of us! I am so worried because I am the weakest player and don't want to seem an idiot but... who cares! haha!

I wouldn't mind playing with you, what level are you though? I am like level 10 haha! I started a new character because I hated the gameplay of the Paladin and got a Barbarian instead. I wouldn't want to hold you back? The fun with Neverwinter is when its busy I follow around groups of other gamers and they help kill the bad guys while we complete tasks, so essentially I get to fight with people I dont know hehe.

Will pop on to follow you now.

Maria
  • MariaNicolette
    Hi @MariaNicolette

Thanks for sharing this, gaming has certainly been a huge help for me in the last year or so, it's like a social event. I'm delighted you are enjoying Twitch, I've dabbled in it myself but I must admit I rarely stream, and if I do it's directly from my PS5. 

You and your husband have some great taste in games there :) 
    Hi Ross,

To be honest with Twitch you need to have a schedule. I make myself accountable that whether someone joins the stream or not I play. Though if I really want people to join then I should: follow other small channels like mine, chat with people and support them, send them a whisper that you will be on, find a community in discord to support each other, send invites to friends and family to support you. Slowly, you will have a small amount of people coming. For me most times only my husband comes to see me play and chats to me. It's enough! Would you do it more if I came along to support you? I have the time to do it as I don't follow an unbearable amoount of gamers. I would be happy to! And, I text a group in our complex where we live, one person is a gamer and we connected. We now after one meeting decided to stream Valheim, the 4 of us! I never did that before and I am sooooo scared. But its for fun so... thats new right? Come on over to twitch, I would love to support you. But, you must as a bare minimum have a timetable, even if it is once a week. So I know when to watch!

I wonder, wouldit be useful to get a discord group together where people with disabilities can come together to play? My only worry is that discord may not be disability friendly for some people.... I don't know too much about how it works but I am in one discord channel and dabbling to see. It doesn't work for people who are deaf but... the good thing with Twitch is that the chat channel can work alongside discord and being deaf means you can type and read chat instead. I would love to play with others who are disabled or support disabilities and we want to just game. A supportive and safe community for us. Just a question for you there...

Maria
  • MariaNicolette
    I subscribed! Whoop!

My channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/Vesp0ra/  - same as my gamer name which is Vespora

and my husband who is way more into youtube than twitch is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW8AoTbb05ZoCbbhph41QEw
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I think the more disabled people that can be seen gaming especially if they use adaptive tech to game would be a great thing 

I read an article recently about an american esports team who are are either quads or paras, would also be great if something like that could happen over here 

I have been gaming for over 30 years but I am very much a casual gamer and enjoy the social aspect of chatting with friends, planning strategy etc 
  • MariaNicolette
    Talking about stuff done in the USA and we need to follow in the UK: on my twitch channel I support the american charity https://childsplaycharity.org/  - they raise money to buy what is required for children in hospitals to play games. We need to do that too!!!!

Yes I have played casually for years and only just started in recent years being bigger on gaming. I enjoy the social aspect too!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.