Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Becoming a pensioner & ESA

Annabelle26Annabelle26 Member Posts: 103 Pioneering
It is a long time since I have on here.  I am now a Pensioner so do not have to worry about the DWP taking away my ESA, although they did have one last dig.  They ceased my ESA  & paid me what was due once I qualified for my State Pension but I did not receive my pension payment for a few weeks.   

Replies

• wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Many people are unaware they have to claim their state pension it’s not automatically payed once you turn pensionable age. I think it paid in arrears end of each month unless you requested weekly payments.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,990

Scope community team

Hi @Annabelle26 How are you doing?

I was unaware that people had to claim the state pension too until some of my family reached pension age this past month.  Are you managing okay financially?  Please let us know if you need any support.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,159 Pioneering
    It is a long time since I have on here.  I am now a Pensioner so do not have to worry about the DWP taking away my ESA, although they did have one last dig.  They ceased my ESA  & paid me what was due once I qualified for my State Pension but I did not receive my pension payment for a few weeks.   
    That's completely normal, it wasn't the DWP 'having a dig'.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.