Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, I'm Esmeralda77! I need advice about leaving work.

Esmeralda77Esmeralda77 Member Posts: 8 Listener
edited March 16 in Employment and careers
Hi Everyone. I have joined the community as I feel I need support in my situation at present and also information. I do hope you will help.
I am 62 years old, working from home part-time. I have a chronic mental health condition OCD which I have had since my teens and it has been a real disability in many ways for most of my life. I class myself on HR records as having a disability. I am off sick at the moment, being paid full salary as I work for the Civil Service. I am really struggling to perform my job role, even from home, and the thought of re-entering the workplace is mindblowing for me. I fear that i will have to leave my job in the near future. A close friend told me about the new-style ESA and suggested I would be eligible to apply. I have researched as much as possible but wondered - I assume I have to hand in my notice and leave work before I can apply for this. It is scary Any thoughts or advice. Many thanks  :)


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,139 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    Di not just leave your job they will no doubt gave a medical dismissal process in place 

    You can claim new style esa once your sick pay ends as long as you have paid enough ni 

    If you leave your job it could affect future benefits and also you may get some compensation from work 
  • Esmeralda77Esmeralda77 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you Janer My manager told me today that she is referring my to Occupational Health. Perhaps that would be a discussion I could have with them? 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,139 Disability Gamechanger
    Being referred is a good thing and they will see if any adjustments can be made or if they feel you are no longer fit for work 

    Please ask if you have any questions it may be worth finding out what the process and policy us for medical dismissal 
  • Esmeralda77Esmeralda77 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you. I am in the process of trying to find out this information. I have already drawn down my pension (called partial retirement in Civil Service) so don't know if I would get any payment if I was dismissed on ill health grounds - I think I should be entitled to something as I have worked for the Civil Service for over 12 years.

  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,139 Disability Gamechanger

    Normally a payment for medical dismissal is nothing to do with pension and is a company package a bit like a redundancy payment . 

    But not all companies have this sort of compensation so you need to find out what civil service do 
  • Esmeralda77Esmeralda77 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi again Janer1967
    I am really struggling today. I spoke with my manager and she mentioned ill health retirement. I have looked into this with the Civil Service Pension Scheme. It seems that because I am partially retired already I will not get any enhancements (ie on the small amount of pensionable income built up since my partial retirement if I retire now - either voluntarily or due to ill health. I will not get any compensation if I agree to dismissal on attendance/ill health grounds. I have spent this morning in tears trying to ascertain if I will be able to claim the new-style ESA if I just give a month's notice as I do not want to remain on sick leave for months (far too stressful). The woman didn't seem sure about the new style ESA. Can you assure me that I could apply if just leave in a month or two's time? I do not want to go through all the hassle, form-filling to retire due to ill health as it will not benefit me financially in any way. So fed up about it all.  :'(
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,139 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

    By giving up work  voluntarily it could affect future benefit claims .

    To be able to get new style esa you need to have paid a certain level of ni contributions.  The normal way is to stay sick until your ssp runs out eg 28 weeks and then you will need ssp1 form from your employer . Also till com9snt sick pay ends 

    While you are being paid full salary why would you not get all your entitlement as no doubt this will be more than esa 

    You can apply 3 months before ssp ends but wont get any esa until it stops being paid 

    I dont know how your pension will affect esa either 

    I suggest you get some expert advice on benefits from welfare rights 

    I'm not an expert on benefits just know little from my own experience 

    I have experience in HR which is why I advised 
  • Esmeralda77Esmeralda77 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you so much for replying so quickly. Is there a welfare rights helpline - I will investigate?
    I am paid full pay sick leave as in Civil Service for first six month. Is statutory sick pay a component of this full salary payment? I belivee after that I get half-pay for six months, but I could still leave at the end of the first six months of full payment couldn't I?

  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,139 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

    Just Google wrlfare rights should tell you a local one and give you helpline number 

    Ssp is paid for 28 werks and part of your overall sick pay . Again you need to work out if half pat or esa would pay more 

    But again check it all out as you may not be eligible if you haven't paid enough ni and if you leave voluntarily 
  • Esmeralda77Esmeralda77 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thanks again. I have paid NI contributions for past twelve years (just last 9 months part-time). My net salary is over £500 a month more than what I worked out I might get on ESA. Should I make my GP aware of my work pressure (if I leave voluntarily) or just concentrate on my ill health as I guess I will have to call her every month for another sicknote.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,139 Disability Gamechanger
    There you go why would you leave and not get as much payvas you can before you leave 

    Are you living on your own ? 

    Your gp is really only concerned with your health but if work is contributing to that then may be worth discussing but they are not really knowledgeable on employment issues and best option for you 
  • Esmeralda77Esmeralda77 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    I am married, but my husband is self-employed and his business has been more or less dormant for the last year, so our income would not be great at all if I resign and don't get any benefits. x
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,990

    Scope community team

    Hi @Esmeralda77 and welcome to our community.  

    I'm sorry to hear things are difficult currently work-wise and I hope @janer1967 's advice has helped clarify your options going forwards.

    As an aside, it might be worth speaking to your GP about how your OCD is impacting your daily life to see if there are any support/treatment options you could access to help things get easier.  

    I've moved this post to our Employment and careers discussion category and tweaked the title so others who might be experiencing similar can spot it.  Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • Esmeralda77Esmeralda77 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you for your advice.

Sign in or join us to comment.