What can I use as evidence for a PIP tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can I use as evidence for a PIP tribunal?

08herlilj
08herlilj Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hello all. I'd like to start by saying that I applied for PiP due to anxiety, depression and joint hypermobility syndrome, had the face to face assessment decision back and the "evidence" provides no insight to my conditions. The medical professional hasn't included any info that I gave regarding pain, stress, dislocation, imbalance etc and I don't know if this is something I can challenge at a pip hearing. It's stated that I can do every activity, such as dressing, walking, traveling but it doesn't say how often I can do things, to what extent or standard. 

For evidence I have:
Multiple fitness for work notes from my GP.
Physiotherapy referral form.
Physiotherapy treatment record.
Rheumatology report.
History of medication (sertraline, propranolol, naproxen, zapain).
Referral to counselling form.
Notes from my first mental health assessor.
Universal credit journal entries of me being sleep deprived.
Images of my medication, walking stick and stool to use while cooking.

I can't really think of much else. I'm getting a doctor's written note soon hopefully detailing everything that I need. I have spoken to the EDS helpline and I'm unsure if I should add this to the list. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't always think about what a tribunal panel needs to see since my struggles have become the norm to me.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

Before tribunal  have you done the MR as this us first stage of appeal 

They say less is more with evidence.  If it doesnt detail how your condition affects your daily living then it isnt with it 

The best evidence is your own giving 2 real examples for each descriptor what happens when you try and do a task including doing it safely repeatedly and reliably 

Some send in daily diary or supporting letter from those who see you daily and assist in your care 

Any further questions just ask 
  • 08herlilj
    Hello, I think I recognise your name from my last post @janer1967 I have, I've actually already had a tribunal hearing but due to admin error it was a hearing for ESA so I've requested the hearing to be set aside and another one booked. I think I have around 100 pieces of evidence but a lot of this is the garbage spewed from the FtF assessment. 

A lot of my examples come from when I was working. I only had a 4 hour contract and I couldn't even handle that due to panic attacks, anxiety related nausea, collapse and many many mistakes. I'll type up some descriptor answer later, cheers for that bit of advice.

I didn't consider using a diary, I have a few days logged into a small book I keep by me so I'll use that. Thanks again! (Apologies for not knowing how to reply correctly, I'm new to this)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I remember now your last post 

You have replied correct dont worry 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    08herlilj said: A lot of my examples come from when I was working. I only had a 4 hour contract and I couldn't even handle that due to panic attacks, anxiety related nausea, collapse and many many mistakes. I'll type up some descriptor answer later, cheers for that bit of advice.
    Remember that PIP is not about work. Although work place examples may be relevant it would be better, in my opinion, to give examples from outside work if possible.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • 08herlilj
    The evidence is mostly from the capability for work assessment, but I see what you're getting at too, considering less is more. Thank you for clearing this up too, this helps narrow down the papers that I can send off.

I should have probably specified things. The fit notes are to challenge the "unfit for work" aspect of the DWP response and to show that my conditions are severe, but like you've indicated, these aren't detailing any problems specific to the descriptors. 

My physio referral form only states that I have "recurrent back pain, radiating to hip, hypermobile joints, duration of symptoms since onset (6 months), recent investigation for a dislocated knee from getting out of bed. Hip and back most problematic. Not sure how bad things will get" Not sure what I can salvage from this and I'm struggling to read the handwriting under the problem list.

If you hadn't have gone through this then I would have charged in blind so I really appreciate this, I'll get to writing some examples and hope I can be as detailed as I need to be. Thank you for taking the time, it's definitely pushed me in the right direction?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    08herlilj said:
    The evidence is mostly from the capability for work assessment, but I see what you're getting at too, considering less is more. Thank you for clearing this up too, this helps narrow down the papers that I can send off.

I should have probably specified things. The fit notes are to challenge the "unfit for work" aspect of the DWP response and to show that my conditions are severe, but like you've indicated, these aren't detailing any problems specific to the descriptors. 
    PIP has nothing to do with work. Many people get PIP and also work. Equally many people have illnesses that limit their ability to work but would not qualify for PIP. PIP is solely about your ability to do the prescribed activities to the expected standard.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • 08herlilj
    @calcotti that makes sense. It has confused me for a while because I've had a work capability assessment and couldn't get PIP because of it, then I was told that the descriptors help highlight what you'd be able to transfer to a workplace environment. I've checked the descriptors and either way it seems like I should've had points whether I was in work at the time of the assessment or not.  

@Username_removed so in your opinion should I keep the physio report as evidence for refering to when I write about my descriptor answer examples? Also I've taken it into account, I'm just **** at communication. I have a citizens advice branch about 5 minutes from home as well.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.