Asking for statement of reasons when placed in support group — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Asking for statement of reasons when placed in support group

Options
Cat1981
Cat1981 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, I'm new!  :)

I've just been placed in the ESA support group and I would like to know if this is due to my physical or mental health. 
Looking at the descriptors it isn't obvious which criteria I would fit into to.

Is it OK to ask for a statement of reasons even though I'm NOT asking for an MR or appeal? Would they have a statement of reasons for placing someone in the support group?

I have mental health issues, some relating to the pandemic, so it would be good to know if my award is likely be reveiwed after the pandemic etc as there is no end date or explaination in the award letter.

Thank you.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

A statement of reasons is only applicable to tribunal hearings 

What you need is your assessment report from DWP 

There is no end date for support group it remains until your next assessment which can be anytime from 3 months after the decision however it isnt normal to review them that soon 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Cat1981 :)

Thanks to @janer1967 for helping to answer your query. Hopefully, that's helped to clarify a couple of things for you?

Do let us know if you have any more questions, or you would like any help navigating the community.

@Caz_Scope
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Cat1981
    Options
    If you have been placed in the Support Group then your revised award should contain a document which breaks down what you scored. More often than not ESA simply stopped sending these out so you can ring up (likely more than once) to insist that they do. That should solve your issue. 

They often don't send them out because you've been done under reg 29/35 i.e. didn't score the points but can be placed in the SG because of exceptional circumstances. 
    Thank you, no they didn't send out a document breaking down scores.
    I have seen the health assessors report and still non the wiser. 
    I wondered if their was a Decision Makers Report or something like that I could ask for.
    I think I will give them a call.

Thank You
  • Cat1981
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

A statement of reasons is only applicable to tribunal hearings 

What you need is your assessment report from DWP 

There is no end date for support group it remains until your next assessment which can be anytime from 3 months after the decision however it isnt normal to review them that soon 
    Thank you, I have seen the assessment report but still none the wiser, I think I call them and ask.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.