Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

racism in football

GlobsterGlobster Community Co-Production Group Posts: 737 Pioneering
Hello Scope community 
I hope you all well and safe?
It a great shame to see racism rear ugly head in our beautiful game of football  
It has no place in society and in sport. 
Do think social media company need to do more?
I would appreciate getting  other views 

Replies

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,213

Scope community team

I think social media companies do need to do more to ban those who put racist abuse online, however there also needs to be more action from clubs, fans and the governing authorities in my opinion. 

Education is a massive factor, and there needs to be more of it. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,534 Disability Gamechanger
    Have to agree, social media can't be held responsible for everything that's wrong in society, there was racism in football long before facebook existed, its wrong and always has been but SM isn't the answer, education is.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,213

Scope community team

woodbine said:
    Have to agree, social media can't be held responsible for everything that's wrong in society, there was racism in football long before facebook existed, its wrong and always has been but SM isn't the answer, education is.
    One of my biggest hates about football and sport in general is how rude people are to those doing the sport. At a football match, on social media, with mates down the pub, the attitude and language you hear is dreadful. Even extending it to discuss matters beyond racism, the way some people speak is as though these people aren't even humans.
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,363 Disability Gamechanger
    There has always been racism way before technology  it shouldn't be tolerated  but it goes on alot for all different reasons 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,534 Disability Gamechanger
    There has always been racism way before technology  it shouldn't be tolerated  but it goes on alot for all different reasons 
    In all honesty I think the only reason is that even in 2021 we still have people who are biggots, I suspect these "people" wouldn't object to a non white doctor saving their sorry lives.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,644 Disability Gamechanger
    The sad thing here is that people only notice racism when it’s on TV and a news item. Racism had nothing to do with football. It is structural. Prejudice comes from misinformation or disinformation. That in turn comes from the belief that some unfairness has led you to your position on life. That then is an economic issue. An inequality and a poverty issue. 
Sign in or join us to comment.