Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

DVLA Medical questionnaire

Daisy2006Daisy2006 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 24 in Cerebral Palsy
Hi I've decided I want to learn to drive and I have Cerebral Palsy. I have applied for my provisional and they have sent me medical questionnaires to complete. I'm struggling with answering some of the questions. It asks what adaptions I need. I can't answer that for sure as I haven't had any kind of assessment. I personally feel I will need hand controls as I have issues with foot pedals and my legs. Also I will only be able to drive an automatic transmission. Do I answer how I feel is the case? As I say I haven't  had any formal assessment of my driving needs/capabilities yet. I'm hoping the DVLA will send me for an assessment.

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,428 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Daisy2006 and welcome to scope this evening, I'm not sure if the DVLA do assessments as such, don't they just contact your GP?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,565 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 23
    You’re effectively a step ahead of yourself. Cart before the horse and all that. Before you apply you need to research what might be available and then try some of them out. You can do that via suitable advanced instructors, Motability garages and other people with CP who drove who will have vehicles they can show you. The single worst thing you can do is guess. Those guesses could be very expensive mistakes indeed. 

Let’s face it. If you can’t find an instructor who can show you the possibilities then who exactly is going to teach you to drive and how?
Sign in or join us to comment.