Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How have you treated yourself recently?

66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,047 Disability Gamechanger
Just bought myself a treat - a small quarter-bottle of a nice cognac.

I haven’t bought any snacks to eat between meals for quite a while so I spent the money on the cognac instead. 

Looking forward to a dram this evening. (Is it called a dram with cognac?)

What things have other people have treated themselves to recently and if you have a reason behind the treat feel free to share that too. Please post below... :smiley:

Replies

• 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,047 Disability Gamechanger
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,977

Scope community team

@66Mustang Och aye, that's a fine wee dram you have there!

I bought myself a pair of dungarees in an attempt to be 'hip' and 'down with the kids'.  Unfortunately, they made me look like a walking black sack so got returned  :(  Otherwise, it was a gingerbread bunny this morning (which my other half kindly surprised me with!).  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,047 Disability Gamechanger
    At least you had the guts to give it a try! I’m so conservative with my clothes, I prefer to just blend in!

A gingerbread bunny sounds really cute!
    @janer1967 very nice, I like it :smile:
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,425 Disability Gamechanger
    Quite boring but I keep buying myself Easter eggs on my online shopping yummmm
    In the very near future we are treating ourselves to a new fire place before the room gets decorated in May.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
    @woodbine not boring at all :yum: I would do the same in previous years but am trying hard this year...PS The accountant in me says some of the Easter eggs when on offer are better value than buying chocolate bars!!

New fire place sounds exciting :)
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,425 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    @woodbine not boring at all :yum: I would do the same in previous years but am trying hard this year...PS The accountant in me says some of the Easter eggs when on offer are better value than buying chocolate bars!!

New fire place sounds exciting :)
    I'm all for keeping the old one but senior management is putting her foot down and i'm not brave enough to reuse  :)<3

Agree re:easter eggs when you can easily pay 65p for a chocolate bar then 75p or even 99p is good value for Easter eggs, the were at least double that 30 years ago when our kids were little.
  • CazccCazcc Member Posts: 9 Connected
    well I do not treat myself too kindly mostly as always busy but I listened to my good doctor - no sugar, no gluten, no allergic reactions, no alcohol, no caffeine, plenty of water.  Feeling pretty good health wise so I treated myself with some new very inexpensive clothes. Feeling like a new person or more like the one I used to be. So good health and new clothes it is.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,324 Disability Gamechanger
    I have treated myself to a track suit  trainers and under wear and perfume 
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,536 Pioneering
    Hmmm, well recently I treated my self to a new foundation and gel eyeliner, not arrived yet and a very comfy v shaped pillow to support me arrived today :) 
  • Caz_AlumniCaz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 626 Pioneering
    Some lovely treats there! Thanks for getting us thinking positively @66Mustang!

I haven't got round to doing this yet (for obvious reasons :smiley:) but I am REALLY looking forward to treating myself to a haircut - when I am allowed!

So, I'd be interested in finding out what kinds of things everyone is LOOKING FORWARD to treating themselves to as well? 

Has anybody got any nice treats planned for this weekend?

@Caz_Scope
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • GarzaGarza Member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    I have literally just come from amazon before reading this, I purchased a birthday present for my sister and treated myself to a new book and some more Dolce Gusto coffee pods 
  • fluffycatfluffycat Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Enjoy your treat..........

(1) Single Slice Velvet Cake! (lil bit of lux)
    (2) Beef in Veg / Special Chop Suey takeaway (saves cooking)
    (3) Selection of Lego (my hobby!)
    (4) Crispy Duck n Pancakes takeaway (for puss n me treat)
    (5) Induction Fry pan (old one more sticky, even with oil)

Can't wait for shops to open so can buy some bath fizzes and handmade soap. (makes bath-time more special)

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,114

Scope community team

I noticed a massive sale on a pair of bluetooth ear buds I've wanted for a while, so I thought I'd treat myself to those. In preparation for being able to go back out again, thought I'd update to something better sounding :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
    @Ross_Scope

I bought some Bluetooth full size deep base headphones recently for half-price. They are great as often would get tangled-up before with wired-ones.

The battery lasts 15 hours or so though can only pair one device at time. 

Helps going for a meander with music. 

Scope community team

fluffycat said:
    @Ross_Scope

I bought some Bluetooth full size deep base headphones recently for half-price. They are great as often would get tangled-up before with wired-ones.

The battery lasts 15 hours or so though can only pair one device at time. 

Helps going for a meander with music. 
    Nice, I have a super pair of headphones which are a joy to listen to music through. 30 hours of battery life which is very useful.

I went through a phase of buying expensive headphones but being honest with myself I find really I can’t tell much of a difference between them and less expensive ones

Of course a very cheap £1 set will sound low quality but something around £10 I’ve found does the trick. I think I can tell a small difference with higher priced ones but there is definitely some diminishing returns comparing say £1 with £10 then with £100 - the biggest jump is between £1 and £10

Maybe I just tried the wrong ones?

I’m not trying to detract from your purchase - just my experience - if you notice a big difference in quality then great!
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Treated myself to an expensive Hotel Chocolat Easter Egg because no-one else will. 

Prior to that at Christmas I had saved up all year and finally replaced my expensive 19 year old CD player with an even more expensive streamer and DAC. Not regretted it yet although apparently this year I do finally have to pay for the main bathroom to be repaired. Allegedly I have my priorities wrong :)

Those of you with expensive headphone. No, you won't hear the difference unless you treat yourself to a DAC to attach to either your hi-fi or a phone. One of these will soon have you hearing what decent headphones can do.

Scope community team

66Mustang said:
    I went through a phase of buying expensive headphones but being honest with myself I find really I can’t tell much of a difference between them and less expensive ones

Of course a very cheap £1 set will sound low quality but something around £10 I’ve found does the trick. I think I can tell a small difference with higher priced ones but there is definitely some diminishing returns comparing say £1 with £10 then with £100 - the biggest jump is between £1 and £10

Maybe I just tried the wrong ones?

I’m not trying to detract from your purchase - just my experience - if you notice a big difference in quality then great!
    I think it can depend on what you're looking for really. Personally, I try to get headphones which are high resolution and support the LDAC audio codec. I've found the difference to be quite a jump compared to standard headphones, I can now hear things that are deep in the mix of a song, that I otherwise wouldn't have. 

You're right though, the price jump isn't necessarily worth it, unless you're going to be listening to music an awful lot to justify it.

Bought a Laser (Mono) printer as typically the ink jet is printing plain or faint pages (must dry-up / clog between uses) again.

Laser seems clear and prominent. Think there's up to 500 pages included in the box, so value in the end. (1000 pages when get new cart in future)
    I've just had delivery of a scarf (for next winter) should have been £19 inc delivery cost my £3.60, thats what you call planning ahead lol
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,324 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had ear buds to listen to my music off my phone the sound quality is good on those 
  • DragonslayerDragonslayer Community Co-Production Group Posts: 1,119 Pioneering
    Treated myself to two new watches / a new wallet and a new fire10 tablet.
    Love all of them. Now I think I will buy my wife some flowers for Easter.

Scope community team

woodbine said:
    I've just had delivery of a scarf (for next winter) should have been £19 inc delivery cost my £3.60, thats what you call planning ahead lol
    What colour is it?

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,120 Disability Gamechanger
    Bought myself some new ceiling lights ho9efully to make it brighter in my lounge 

I have to keep curtains shut as bright sunlight affects my vision 

My current lights only have 1 bulb si hoping the new ones with 4 bulbs in each will spread light bit more around room 

Just need my partner to fit them if he ever gets the time , he works away all week and some weekends 
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,983

Scope community team

That sounds good @janer1967 :) It's nice to have a bright room. Hopefully he'll be around soon to fit them. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Well I've just been on boots site and they have make up in clearance so just treated my self to loads of new make up with free delivery  :D 
    2 x T-shirts 50% off
    Lego Cargo Train Set 30% off
    Underwear

• deb74deb74 Member Posts: 763 Pioneering
     Love the boots @janer1967. I haven't really bought myself anything for ages but when the shops open up again I have got a voucher and a bit of money to spend in a local gift shop from Christmas and my birthday.
    @deb74 that will be nice to treat yourself 

I cant wait for shops to open to actually be able to browse round them 

My main treat will be hair cut and coloured 

Scope community team

It might be the Yorkshire in me, but I can't wait to snap up some reduced Easter eggs come next Tuesday  :D  I'm also on the hairdresser bandwagon - my home colouring routine is doing little to stop the grey blighter's from taking hold.  I'll be like a new woman after a good cut and colour.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 334 Pioneering
    Lots of nice treats here, good to see,i sold a bit of my star wars collection to buy in some new items, pretty pleased with them, my wife bought some nice Easter flowers with some cash i gave her, I'm still shielding so couldn't buy them personally, she was happy with them
  • CressCress Member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    Me and my dog shared some salted caramel haagen dazs...
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 763 Pioneering
     Hi @janer1967. I live in Wales and the hairdressers opened her a couple of weeks ago. Roll on 12th April when the shops open again. Lets hope this will be the last lockdown. I think we have all had enough of it now!
    @deb74 I sure hope it is the last one it's becoming too my h like normality 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,252 Pioneering
    My new toaster arrived this morning- was well impressed! Ha.

Scope community team

How much toast can it hold @MarkN88

How much toast can it hold @MarkN88
    Is that a trick question? It only holds 2 slices of bread. 

Scope community team

Not a trick question @MarkN88 :D We've got a 2 slicer as well, but I'm always mighty impressed when I go to someone's house and they have a 4 or even 6 slicer. I don't need one that big though, and I'd rather have one that does 2 slices well. 

I have a 4 slice one but in reality it has to be 4 very small slices ti get them in properly 
    We have a fancy toaster - it is a 4 slicer but the elements heat up in pairs so you can just turn on two and not waste energy if you are only cooking 2 slices!
    Not a trick question @MarkN88 :D We've got a 2 slicer as well, but I'm always mighty impressed when I go to someone's house and they have a 4 or even 6 slicer. I don't need one that big though, and I'd rather have one that does 2 slices well. 
    I had to ask because at one point there used to be a question that people asked about how many slices of toast can you fit in your toaster and it was a trick question because you put bread in and get toast out, haha. 

Scope community team

Haha @MarkN88 :D No, that's not what I was going for! Very true though.

• DragonslayerDragonslayer Community Co-Production Group Posts: 1,119 Pioneering
    I want to treat myself to a new PS5 console but its chaos trying to get one in the shops or online, demand is so great and no seller puts out any info when they are available. Thousands sell in minutes, even seconds and scammers are buying and trying to sell for double the price.
    So today I bought myself some new slippers. Wool lined for warmth and comfort.
    (Well it is something to look forward to)  :)
    @Dragonslyer - comfy new slippers are a definite treat!

I haven't done this yet - but thinking about it, I reckon that some different perfume might be a nice treat for me soon. Nothing expensive or flashy - just a little treat to look forward to and that would do me as my little achievement!

Then that could be my nice new fragrance to associate with a more positive outlook for the summer of 2021 - and hopefully something that in the future will bring back memories of the better things that are still to come for us all :)

I need some slippers maybe when shops open again.  Still waiting for my makeup to come hopefully tomorrow.
    edited April 5
    Fingers crossed it arrives safely tomorrow @Sandy_123
    Has your new make-up arrived yet @Sandy_123?

What a lovely treat! :)

Yay it arrived i can look human again now lol. @Caz_Scope and @66Mustang its been years since I bought new. 

Scope community team

I want to treat myself to a new PS5 console but its chaos trying to get one in the shops or online, demand is so great and no seller puts out any info when they are available. Thousands sell in minutes, even seconds and scammers are buying and trying to sell for double the price.
    So today I bought myself some new slippers. Wool lined for warmth and comfort.
    (Well it is something to look forward to)  :)
    Hopefully the PS5s will become more widely available as the year progresses. It has been a rough transition to next gen because so many people just haven't been able to get their hands on one.

Exellent @Sandy_123 :)

I bet that feels nice to have some brand new make-up! Have you had chance to try it out yet? That should be a bit of fun giving it a 'test-run' ;)

@Caz_Scope if your after affordable perfume try next they have really nice ones around £10
    I'm waiting for shops to open as I want a new sofa but can't really order online as I need to make sure I can get up off one and transfer into my wheelchair 

The height has to be right as well as being able to push up with arms 

The joys of only having one leg 
    Oooh - thanks @janer1967

I'll be honest, I'm not a big shopper at the best of times and I don't go into Next that often - so ordinarily,  I wouldn't have thought of them for perfume. I appreciate the suggestion - thank you :)

And shopping for a new sofa is a big decision. I can totally understand why you need to wait to go out and look round for that in person - but have you spotted any online that you quite like? Or have you not bothered looking yet?

@Caz_Scope I have seen one online but it is only online store 

I'm wanting a corner one which will hopefully come in 2 parts to get in bungalow 
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,632 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 7
    So having a broken coil spring (suspension) on my car fixed at just over two hundred pounds today I’m afraid I can’t afford any other luxuries at all for a while. ☹️ Harrumph...
    @leeCal that’s a shame :( at least it is fixed now and you can treat yourself to some more drives
    @Caz_Scope yeah I've tested it out to sit in the house  :D but I'm popping out tomorrow for a change.
    Cube Unit and LED light strip

More cake!  (only slice so not too naughty!)

Discounted lego

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,737 Disability Gamechanger
    Not sure if I can call it a treat, but I am excited about it! A graphic designer is creating a new logo for my blog and a social media banner :smiley:
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Scope community team

That's exciting @Ami2301

Do you own any cool Lego sets @fluffycat?

Nice @janer1967 - I always think corner settees look extra cosy and inviting :)

Enjoy your trip out in the new make-up @Sandy_123 :)

Ooof @leeCal - just spotted your post about your broken coil spring. Sorry to hear about that. 

Never good - and in my experience, generally quite noisy when they go! As @66Mustang says though, at least now you can look forward to some more, nice and smooth, drives out-and-about :)

Just bought some white jeggins i got size smaller as my muscles all wasted away on my legs and bottom, so every loose even extra skinny jeans are baggy,  not tried them on yet tho
    I bought a chocolate milkshake today :)
    That's exciting @Ami2301

Do you own any cool Lego sets @fluffycat?
    Top sets in my possession are:

Harry Potter red train n platform
    Yellow Train, carriages and oval track
    Pirate Ship, Pirate Inn
    Few dots pieces
    Excavator 
    Cargo train set (to be built)
    City Square (to be built)

loads of vehicles / headz / Ninjago bits / friends bits  

Scope community team

How was the milkshake @66Mustang

Wow, that's quite a collection @fluffycat, very impressive

@Ross_Scope it was really nice but I did feel a little bit sick afterwards!

Scope community team

I'm not saying I'm miffed that I didn't find any reduced Easter eggs, but frankly I'm miffed!! Where did they all go?!

@Cher_Scope

I was wondering that too. They had stacks of them the day before Easter and the day after they all just disappeared.
    They’ve gone back to Easter island where they’re all made @66Mustang 🙂
    leeCal said:
    They’ve gone back to Easter island where they’re all made @66Mustang 🙂
    Thats a lovely thought:smiley:
    Kirby game (online sale) download 

Sandals (sale outlet online  and 10% first order) so guaranteed size than perusing a shop and not having, with no queues! 

Scope community team

Just to turn the thread on it's head, I'm considering treating myself in the future, more specifically this afternoon when we go shopping. Wondering if I should indulge in a nice cheap bar of chocolate or something :D Hmmm

@Ross_Scope good luck for your shopping expedition, I bet half the country will be going shopping today!!

Scope community team

66Mustang said:
    @Ross_Scope good luck for your shopping expedition, I bet half the country will be going shopping today!!
    Thank you, it's just the weekly food shop, but yeah you're probably right. My partner just noticed the queue for the hair dressers and let's just say it was staggeringly long.

Maybe it would be wise to join the queue early in the anticipation that your hair grows while in the queue :D

Scope community team

My hair is too far gone by now @66Mustang :D Another week or two won't make much difference, as long as I have my trusty head band in place to keep it out of my eyes then all will be fine.

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Treated myself to a new shower head & hose over the weekend...such excitement!  ;)

Scope community team

Treated myself to a new shower head & hose over the weekend...such excitement!  ;)
    Simple pleasures :) 

I bought myself a grabber to help pick things up 

Got my hair appointment booked can't get in till 5th May oh well few more weeks won't hurt 
    edited April 12
    Still using my trusty clippers for hair, no queues no hassle no cost just free buzzing all the way...oops...and the occasional Mohican! 🤣☹️
    leeCal said:
    Still using my trusty clippers for hair, no queues no hassle no cost just free buzzing all the way...oops...and the occasional Mohican! 🤣☹️
    My home hair-dresser (on the side) recommended hair clippers yonks ago and I never looked back!! Great VFM.

Today didn't fancy braving the crowds so went to 'Lush' at a train station, so not heaving. Helpful as ever and some nice forthcoming bath nites !
    50p Costa Chai latte (3 day takeaway drink app offer) 

£12 Nando’s chicken meal outside seating. (Quiet today)
    Salted caramel / Ruby hot choc 50p each

Beef brisket Ramen 

Good to eat out for change at quieter places.
    Chocolate digestives...am so weak! 😋
    2 x 50p Ruby hot choc  y’day offer last day!

‘Cat pram’ (hopefully kitty will love and save me arm-ache!)

peri peri chicken takeaway / 20% off a toffee latte today 

edited April 24
    Cheap red / multi Persian rug £30

Bath bombs / bath crumbles / hand-made soap. (My fav. shop)

Scope community team

Enjoy your fancy baths @fluffycat :) And the idea of a cat pram is adorable! Has your cat been enjoying it?

Scope community team

I finally bought myself a new phone, which is my biggest treat in a long time. My previous one packed up, so I'd been using my housemate's old work phone for the last 5 months or so 😬 It only arrived yesterday so I'm looking forward to finishing getting my settings and stuff sorted tonight and tomorrow. 

Enjoy your fancy baths @fluffycat :) And the idea of a cat pram is adorable! Has your cat been enjoying it?
    Thanks, ‘puss’ often sits on edge of bath and intrigued by bath bombs etc.

(Enj. phone. Have so many personalised adjustments.)

Not sure if meowing from pleasure or displeasure LOL.

Anybody going coodgy goo would get a paw swipe LOL!

Scope community team

I'm not sure Puss would enjoy getting in the bath, but I can imagine it's interesting for them to look at @fluffycat!

I will, thanks. There are so many settings! I used a Smart Switch feature that allowed me to move over stuff from my old phone, but there are additional things I need to sort. 

Another pair of jeggins this time dark blue pluss i had my hair done. 

Scope community team

@Sandy_123 Ooh nice!  I bet you feel like a new woman! I'm counting down the days to my hair appointment, and so are my greys  :D  

Yesterday I bought a pregnancy, birth and beyond book to try and equip myself for what lies ahead a bit better.  Looking forward to reading it and making notes... gulp! 

@Cher_Scope

That reminds me...on Top Gear they mentioned that you get an instruction manual with anything vaguely technical like a food blender or a laptop, but when you get a baby - which is pretty complicated - you don’t get anything! :D

Scope community team

@66Mustang <nervously laughs> I knoooow!! Literally give birth > sent home.  Yikes! 

Sign in or join us to comment.