Hi, my name is kimmyno1! I just got a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and it's a lot to take in — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kimmyno1! I just got a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and it's a lot to take in

kimmyno1
kimmyno1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone just got a diagnosis of fibromyalgia after 7years of trying to find out what was wrong with me also have arthritis and menopause doesn’t help iv been treated like a hypochondriac from doctors it’s a very lonely place being in pain all the time .iv been a hairdresser since I was a teenager I’m 55 now had my own business which I have now lost as I can’t stand for long periods of time .only got my diagnosis 3days ago still taking it in lots of mixed emotions and a lot of anger at the medical profession for standing back and letting my life gradually fall apart while I was begging for help. Sorry if this is a bit heavy but it’s how I feel ?☹️?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome on board 

Sorry about your situation and how long it has taken together a diagnosis . D8es this mean you can get some treatment now to help.

It is very hard to adjust to a diagnosis but you have the anger on top to deal with 

Just take it a day  at a time tgers are lots of members here with same conditions 

If you feel appropriate you could put in a complaint about the medical treatment not sure if it will get you anywhere 

I look forward to seeing you around 
  • kimmyno1
    kimmyno1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi hi that’s the plan at least I know what I’m dealing with now thanks ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kimmyno1 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry your Drs have not been helpful; unfortunately it can take time to get a diagnosis (especially if you're not referred appropriately). Even tho personally I feel eventually getting a diagnosis helps, it can come with mixed emotions, which is totally understandable.
    We have members with fibromyalgia, & those, myself included, dealing with chronic pain, so you're certainly not alone.....in fact you are in excellent company. :)
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hi @kimmyno1 :)

Welcome to the community. It's good to have you here!

That all sounds like a lot to deal with and it's completely understandable that you are feeling a mix of emotions given your recent diagnosis of fibromyalgia and your difficulties getting medical help for your other issues. Please don't apologise for feeling as you do and letting us know about it. It's good to be able to get things off your chest and we're all here to listen and help where we can.

Feel free to have a good look around. I'm sure there will be lots of people who will be able to share some of their own experiences of some of the things that you've been dealing with - me included, as I've gone through the menopause and I also have arthritis.

Give us a shout if you have any questions, or you would like any help navigating the community :)

@Caz_Scope
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.