Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Does my mum need to declare that her brother sends his post to her address?

pee14pee14 Member Posts: 119 Courageous
Hi does anybody know please if my mother whom lives alone on ESA PIP EXEPTION OF COUNCIL TAX IMPAIRMENT, needs to declare that her brother who has split from his partner sends his mail to her address whilst he gets his own place , hes staying with a friend at the minute ,but mums is the safest address for mail.

Replies

• QuintyQuinty Member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Goodness  hes not living at the address. Thats about it. You shouldnt have to be questioned. 
  • pee14pee14 Member Posts: 119 Courageous
    @Quinty
    Hi thanks for your reply yes thats what I say but other people say just tell them just incase it ever did cause problems.
    @poppy123456 would you know what she should do poppy?
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,428 Disability Gamechanger
    @pee14 poppy left scope earlier in the year, personally I would tell them
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
    @woodbine
    Yes I think that's the best thing to do, oh what ashame poppy has left thankyou for your reply .
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,562 Disability Gamechanger
    There is nothing to declare here. Someone using your address as a care of address does not impact your entitlements. You would only declare if he actually came to stay. 

Indeed it would potentially be dangerous to declare this as its then it’s a small step for DWP to launch an investigation as to whether someone has actually come to stay of this us any way poorly expressed over the phone or in writing. The problem with that is that they’ve the power to suspend all benefits until that investigation is concluded. So, no, absolutely do not declare anything here.

Bear in mind that if he’s in receipt of benefits he will need to declare a care of address anyway so an investigation can sometimes follow that anyway.
    @mikehughescq
    Thankyou so much for your reply but too late iv just let council tax know by email this morning iv not done any other yet ,no hes not on benefits , but I thought I'd rather do it now than months years down the line it popped up, yes they can check all they want to, because no fraud or anything is taken place ,if her benefits do get suspended well I'm sure if they get their info they need it will be refunded ,just thought should be honest after thinking about it.
    @mikehughescq
    I do understand what your saying , I will let ya know what happens ,Thankyou.
  • charlie79charlie79 Member Posts: 202 Pioneering
    ,ake sure any mail your brother sends has C/O  then  name andthe address. My friend is in similar situation.  
    @charlie79
    Hi thankyou, this was the problem he didn't know it had to be saying C/O and we didn't know till the otherday ,so you say problem ,what is the problem/ outcome?
    pee14 said:
    @charlie79
    Hi thankyou, this was the problem he didn't know it had to be saying C/O and we didn't know till the otherday ,so you say problem ,what is the problem/ outcome?
    My appopigies you said situation not problem ,so was or is there a problem with you friends situation?
Sign in or join us to comment.