My son is on UC. His work coach says he needs a sick note, but he attends college. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son is on UC. His work coach says he needs a sick note, but he attends college. Any advice?

Firefly123
Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hiya I hope everyone is keeping well

My problem is my son is on universal credit and is a student only because he has an EHCP his work coach says he needs a sick note to continue but how can he go to collage and supply a sick note any advice would be great appreciated that's for reading x
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Firefly123 I don't really have a clue how that would work, have you looked on gov websites or contact citizens advice, some 1 might be able to high light it for you later, but good luck hopefully you get the answers you need.
  • Firefly123
    They dont make it easy at all. x
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hi @Firefly123

Just spotted your recent post. 

Sorry to hear that you've been having such difficulty. I just wondered - have you managed to get any further with your son's current situation?

Hopefully, the information above has been helpful? Do keep us posted if you have any further questions or you just want some moral support on this :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Firefly123
    Hiya no it's like a mine field with.no.clear answers at all x
  • Anomalous123
    Anomalous123 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Hi, I just saw your post. I'm in a similar position as I also need a sick note but go to college.

It is basically a note from your doctor, stating that the person has a limited capacity to work due to their condition and may struggle to work in an environment without support or the right equipment. With this, individuals may be able to help receive support should they decide to go to work but they are not pressured by the job centre to seek employment. 

The best thing to do is speak to your doctor, who will assess your son through a work capability assessment, or use the evidence already gathered to provide a summary of how well your son would operate within the working environment.

I hope this helps.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @Firefly123. Does your son receive PIP? 
    With regards to a fit note, he can ask for one of these from his doctor, it won't prevent him from attending his college course. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.