Spelling and dementia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spelling and dementia

dfs050365
dfs050365 Community member Posts: 36 Listener
Is it common for people to forget how to spell as they get older, my memory is getting poor. Is it just a part of life or is it because of our reliance on mobiles and pcs equipped with spell checkers.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hj and welcome 

I think it is just a part of getting older as well as use of technology 

Doing puzzles and crosswords can help to keep the skill alive 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with @janer1967, I also find I forget names of film stars and celebrities one minute and remember them the next then forget them again. It’s quite troublesome actually. Mind you I’m at that awkward age, you know, between sixty and a hundred.

I remember my mother and how she used to say how terrible her memory was, but I’d remind her that it was the forgetting of the odd one or two things compared to the remembering of many many more things during a day which highlighted how good her memory was. She did actually develop dementia but she was around ninety years old when the signs started to appear and she survived until she was ninety three. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    As the others have said, it can definitely just be a normal part of getting older @dfs050365. That being said, if you're worried about your memory you should visit your GP. Have you tried any word games or puzzles, as Janer1967 suggested? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • dfs050365
    dfs050365 Community member Posts: 36 Listener
    No to be honest, I think my memory is just part of the aging process and the fact I dont do very much writing anymore. 

• Tori_Scope
    What kind of writing did you used to do @dfs050365

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    My mum has dementia and she can't read or write any more or tell the time  but this is becsuse she has dementia today hasn't been a good day even though she enjoyed being out and walking and seeing things her memory was realy bad today 
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear she didn't have a good day memory-wise @lisathomas50, but it's good that she enjoyed being out and about :) 

• Lisatho11987777
    @Tori_Scope mum is in the early stages of stage 7 which is the final stage of dementia  my brother doesn't make things easier mum doesnt want to go back but my brother said she has to go back on the 17th I am stuck and don't know what to do my life is stood still on hold I have had to stop looking for work and had to stop my job support for now because my brother keeps asking me to have her its affecting me now as I don't know what to do 
  • Tori_Scope
    edited April 2021
    Just to clarify, does your brother want to take your mum back to his house @lisathomas50

• Lisatho11987777
    @Tori_Scope he said he is comeing to get her on the 17th my mum wants to stay longer mum was liveing with me but my brother wanted her at his then he couldn't cope and social services told me to pick my mum up and bring her back to Wales  I have said I will have her back here but he just wants to tell me when he needs me to have my mum but I cant live like that I need to work but I cant the way things are 

If my mum does stay at my brothers do I just get a job and tell him I can only have her when I get time off  my mum doesnt want to go in a home social services said they wouldn't do that as they know that I am happy to look after my mum ? so at the moment I am just stuck 
  • Tori_Scope
    I see @lisathomas50. It doesn't sound like this is an ideal situation, as I can imagine moving around lots could make your mum more confused as well. This isn't your fault though, as it's a tricky situation to be in. I know it might be difficult, but have you tried explaining to your brother that consistency and security might be best for your mum, and that it might be worth making a joint decision over where she stays one way or another? Have you spoken to social services to see what they suggest? 

• Lisatho11987777
    @Tori_Scope social services have said she is better off here with me  there has been a big row today my mum got realy angry with my brother so he has now spoilt  the rest of the time I have with her he is fetching her Saturday and is putting her in day center 5 days a week social services know that my mum doesnt want to go in a home and they said if my brother trys to do thst they will contact me to see if I would have her here  so not alot I can do he has power of attorney 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.