Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Prince Phillip RIP

janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,210 Disability Gamechanger
Sad news of the passing of Prince Phillip this morning 

Thoughts with the family 

Replies

• Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,391

Scope community team

Some sad news greets us this afternoon, with the announcement that Prince Phillip has sadly passed away  :(

To find out more, you can visit this BBC news article for updates as/when they are received.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Scope community team

edited April 9
    You beat me to it @janer1967 so I've merged our threads together - hope that's alright with you! 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 798 Pioneering
    RIP Prince Phillip. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,775 Disability Gamechanger
    R.I.P thoughts with the royal family at this sad time, such a shame he didn't make his 100th birthday x
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Maybe not the time to discuss but will be interesting to see if this sad news will bring Harry home to be part of the family mourning? 
  • niknooniknoo Member Posts: 46 Connected
    Very sad indeed :( 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,775 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree @janer1967 it will indeed be interesting to see what Harry does, and also if despite restrictions if there will be a full state funeral?
    @woodbine it said on news earlier it would be a private funeral at Windsor due to restrictions and further details would follow 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Very sad news; my thoughts are with the Queen & all her family.
  • Welshjayne2021Welshjayne2021 Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    RIP Duke of Edinburgh.  Very sad news.  My thoughts are with the Queen.
  • SwatteamSwatteam Member Posts: 164 Courageous
    RIP Duke of Edinburgh Brings me to the subject of the Radio ,5 years ago I was listening to the same songs what's on the radio today thinking of my daughter who passed away 5 years today. Thank you capital radio for your tribute to Prince Philip. ❤ 
    @Swatteam I'm sorry for your loss music brings back so many memories 
  • SwatteamSwatteam Member Posts: 164 Courageous
    @janer1967 Thank you.  I have my radio on all the time in my kitchen as background noise. I don't like some of the music on the radio I would put my own music on but I didn't have to today.
    Get an alexa speaker you can create your own playlist 
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 3,874 Disability Gamechanger
    I feel sorry that he has died but I don't support the monarchy we have all lost loved ones  RIP 
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,134 Pioneering
    Sad for the Queen today, Harry is coming home. Rip phillip, 
    Prince Philip doesn't want a state funeral wonder if his wishes will be adhered to 
    They have said it will be a private funeral at Windsor as that was his wishes and due to restrictions 

@Sandy_123 must have missed about Harry what has been said ? 

It is sad but does nearly every channel on TV have to have aired it all day and evening ? 
    @janer1967 I agree why does it need to be on every channel all day as far as Harry is concerned it wouldn't be right for him to fly from abroad and wouldn't it make things awkward ?
    I disagree i think it has been perfectly right and proper that it has been on TV/radio all day, it's also had massive news coverage across the world.

As far as Harry is concerned..Harry who?  B)
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,372 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 9
    RIP Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,018 Disability Gamechanger
    With you there mainly @woodbine - Prince Philip has had an enormous impact both in supporting the Queen, & in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award he instigated. Not every day that our nation loses such a man.
    I don't disagree with it being on all day just not on every channel so at least there is a choice eg was on bbc1 and bbc2 why not just one of them 

Heard lots of people saying about radio today just playing music no adverts,  competitions  etc 
    @janer1967 sorry didn't word it well 
    Then @woodbine as we normaly do agree to disagree lol 😆
    @janer1967 it was in 1 of the on line papers yesterday that Harry was flying home to support the Queen and go to the funeral.i think he may come alone though. 
     I do like royalty and royal history. @lisathomas50 you can travel for funerals and weddings. 
    I’d imagine Harry May cone alone, due to the fact the Queen will be limited to 30 to attend. 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,942

Scope community team

This is certainly one of those topics that will generate many mixed opinions as we're bound to have some people who are very passionate about the monarchy and others who are not. As the conversation continues, let's remember to remain respectful of the subject and the people discussing it.

I imagine this is a scenario that some have seen coming for a while, but it will still be a sad time for a lot of people and many of us will be able to empathise with how the family must be feeling over the loss of a loved one.

I'm sure lots of people will be following events closely, especially in relation to whether Harry returns!
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    I didn't know but senior managements parents met both the Duke and the Queen at four garden parties whilst living and working abroad.
    It’s been confirmed the funeral will take place next Saturday at 15.00.

The funeral will be televised. 

Harry is attending, Megan has been advised not too attend on medical advice. 
    @MarkN88 thanks for sharing 

Not surprised meghan has been advised to stay away don't think she would be very welcome and its a day to remember Prince Phillip and she won't be in the limelight like she prefers to be 
    Coverage is needed but not to the extent it has been. 
    Now Prince Philips funeral will be all about Harry  and how his presence will affect everything becsuse of the rift 

Yes he has died which is sad but shouldn't they be left alone to grive and pay their respects to their loved one like any other person does 

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,989 Disability Gamechanger
    Again though, it’s not news is it. It’s just gossip of the worst kind but it’s become ingrained in the media and something some people genuinely think they have a right to.
    I agree Mike death of a loved one in my opinion is private not to be splashed all over the news and as I said this will be turned into the Harry situation 
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 318 Pioneering
    Sad news, thoughts are with the queen and the family, he lived a good long life
  • Pixie51Pixie51 Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Whatever your opinions of royalty,  respecting others have differing opinions makes a tolerant society. I have a lot of respect for the Duke of Edinburgh for his support of the Queen over a huge span. I feel great sadness for her right now having lost a life partner as I do for anyone in the same situation. I feel it was right to show some coverage of his life but feel it was majorly over covered. My thoughts go to the whole family in their grief. 
    Yoga heals the soul 🙏💖

Scope community team

edited April 11
    @Pixie51 Definitely, sensitivity and respect for others feelings at a time many are mourning is important right now.  Grief is hard and Prince Phillip's passing has served to remind many people of their own losses.

As advised by @Adrian_Scope earlier, can we continue to keep conversation on-topic and respectful please.  I understand the varied views on this thread, as they reflect the spectrum held across society, but remember to keep things in accordance with our guidelines.

As an aside, I hope this event will help bring William and Harry closer together.  Difficult times put things in perspective don't they?

• deb74deb74 Member Posts: 754 Pioneering
    it is very sad that he has died but I don't understand why BBC1, BBC2 and ITV1 cancelled all their programmes because of it. BBC1 cancelled all of their other programmes from 11.45am Friday morning till 6.00am yesterday morning. Surely a couple of hours of reflecting on his life would have been enough was it really necessary to put it on all 3 channels.
  • Pixie51Pixie51 Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    The joy of the media is whatever your opinion you can always find an article to match it such is media nowadays. My thoughts stay with the royal family. 
    Yoga heals the soul 🙏💖
  • GlobsterGlobster Community Co-Production Group Posts: 681 Pioneering
    Sad news, thoughts are with the queen and the family, He had a fantastic life.
    There’s always going to be differing views but people do need to be respectful. 

Scope community team

Thread closed pending review. 

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,942

Scope community team

It was clear that this thread was intended for members to show their respects following the passing of HRH Prince Philip and to loosely discuss the events around his death. While I am a firm believer in open and honest discussion, it feels as if this particular thread is not the right place for some of the subjects raised.
    As a result, I have removed a number of comments from this discussion. I mentioned before that I understand there will be mixed opinions on this subject, but it should be accepted that this is a sensitive topic and we should be mindful of one another's beliefs and sensitivity around it.

If members wish to discuss Brexit, the riots in Northern Ireland or Covid-19 they are welcome to do so but will be expected to discuss these elsewhere on the community.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    Wow. So a discussion forum is not the place for discussion and all topics must stay on topic. New rules every day. Who knew! 

It seems to me that the issue here is that it’s the people who naively expect a thread like this to not raise hackles are the ones struggling with there being other perspectives. 

Departure grows ever nearer.
    The funeral plans sound like it’s just what he would of wanted, a lower key event. 
    @MarkN88 yeah he wasn't a fan of all the pomp, just a quiet low key send off. 
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,264 Pioneering
    My deepest condolences to the royal family and in particular the Queen. Thank you. 
  • AlexJohnAlexJohn Member Posts: 12 Listener
    am sorry he died  the queen and family  must be sad , i loss my dad , he was unwell in his head
  • Katharine_ScopeKatharine_Scope Member, Scope Career Pathways service Posts: 25 Connected
    This is incredibly sad news but the funeral does sound like what he would want, absolutely
    Katharine McKnight
    Careers Adviser, Career Pathways
  • Katharine_ScopeKatharine_Scope Member, Scope Career Pathways service Posts: 25 Connected
    AlexJohn said:
    am sorry he died  the queen and family  must be sad , i loss my dad , he was unwell in his head
    sorry to hear that. Take care of you
    Katharine McKnight
    I'll be watching what little they allow us to see tomorrow 
    The concept of a funeral as a spectator event is “interesting”. 
    110,000 + complaints to the BBC for their "blanket" coverage last weekend, really? these people should get a life, ABC Justin Welby spoke well today, you really do have to feel for The Queen. x
    @woodbine 110,000 people should “get a life”? Seriously? Those people are paying over £1.3m to the BBC. I’d say they’re fully entitled to express an opinion about the coverage and how their money is spent. Are you seriously suggesting an organisation under massive political pressure and with its future once again on the line should blithely ignore the largest number of complaints in its history? 

Also worth noting that the BBC ran messages urging people to turn over to see urgent news. A total abuse of the protocol for national emergencies. Hardly a surprise that people expecting an explosion, a terrorist event, a serious weather event etc. find that an old man they didn’t know has died at a grand old age of natural causes and are angry and upset. 

I’m also not sure why “blanket” is in quotation marks there. The implication is that it wasn’t. That people are exaggerating. The final total as I understand it was 26 consecutive hours and a total of 40 in 41 of the 1st 48 hours. I’d call that “blanket”. Pleasingly the numbers watching declined massively and rapidly as people realised there simply wasn’t more than a 30 minute story.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,192

Scope community team

I don't think we can definitively say that the coverage was blanket, but it certainly was wide ranging across the BBC. I was listening to a podcast hosted by a Radio 1 DJ and he explained that they had prepared for situations like that, where you get an announcement which will make national and international news and trigger a period of mourning, and the staff were well trained in what was to happen. 

woodbine said:
    110,000 + complaints to the BBC for their "blanket" coverage last weekend, really? these people should get a life, ABC Justin Welby spoke well today, you really do have to feel for The Queen. x
    I don't think this is an appropriate way to address the situation, people are well within their right to make a complaint when they don't like certain coverage or programming and on such a huge occasion as this I would imagine that it's almost unavoidable. It would be interesting to see a split of that total, to see who complained because of the subject, or because of the way it was covered. The Queen and the family do have my sympathy though of course, regardless of the reasoning for the complaints the headlines won't be pleasant to read for them.

I think here, we should remain respectful of people's thoughts and feelings on the subject without making comments like "get a life", and our focus on this thread should remain on paying our respects to Prince Philip and marking his funeral today.
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    Funerals are private affairs how can they express their feelings and cry when people are watching  

Scope community team

Funerals are private affairs how can they express their feelings and cry when people are watching  
    Interesting point, I'd never thought of that. However, when I think of the times where I've lost a loved one I would say that I don't care how many cameras are on me, if I feel like expressing my grief then I will do that. I don't think people watching will stand in the way of them saying goodbye.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    The concept of a funeral as a spectator event is “interesting”. 
    A point already made. 
    @Ross_Scope from whst I was told about the funeral the Queen remained poised and didn't cry I didn't watch it I cant explain it properly as I don't want to offend  when it's televised and so many people are watching it doesn't feel right sorry 
  • AlexJohnAlexJohn Member Posts: 12 Listener
    queen on tv looked very sad . she on her own sitting in the church. :(
    It was incredibly sad, but it was very poignant and an important moment I think. 
    Katharine McKnight
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,264 Pioneering
    I watched the funeral on Saturday and I felt it was extremely sad but very poignant. Once again, our incredible Queen and her family, put duty above personal matters. The family were incredibly dignified in what must have been an incredibly difficult day. Prince Phillip would have been incredibly proud of them. Thank you. 

Scope community team

An interesting article Mike, thanks for sharing. Of course, I'm sure everyone will acknowledge and appreciate that Prince Philip wasn't without fault during his lifetime, 

Open and honest discussion is a welcomed thing as long as it is done respectfully from all sides, however as previously mentioned, this thread was intended for people to pay their respects following his passing. Even though he undoubtedly made some mistakes during his lifetime (the quotes in that article evidence that clearly), Prince Philip and the rest of the Royal Family mean a great deal to many people, which this thread has demonstrated. 

Due to the length of time that it has been since any comments were made here relating to the subject of paying respects, I believe this thread has served it's purpose and I will therefore be closing it.

This discussion has been closed.